Widest possible tires on a standard rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to hack together my own fatbike to ride up here.in the snow, but every opportunity I've had to get my hands.on some wide surly rims has been foiled by either uncooperative parents, or lack of funds. So, I was wondering what is the widest tire anyone has ever shoe horned onto a standard 26 inch 5 speed rim? Would surly big fat larry's fit? (frame spacing isn't a problem)

Thanks in advance everyone
Charlie

I did for fun once try to mount a 26x4 on a standard rim. It did actually go on and bead but I did not ride it.

charliechaindrive said:
I've been trying to hack together my own fatbike to ride up here.in the snow, but every opportunity I've had to get my hands.on some wide surly rims has been foiled by either uncooperative parents, or lack of funds. So, I was wondering what is the widest tire anyone has ever shoe horned onto a standard 26 inch 5 speed rim? Would surly big fat larry's fit? (frame spacing isn't a problem)

Thanks in advance everyone
Charlie

I have wondered the same. What frame are you planning to use where spacing isn't an issue?

Deuce: I found a derpy womens frame that has almost 4 1/2 inches of chain stay clearance, it would defiantly need a gender swap but it would be perfect.

charliechaindrive said:
Deuce: I found a derpy womens frame that has almost 4 1/2 inches of chain stay clearance, it would defiantly need a gender swap but it would be perfect.

I've seen a lot of surly wheels and tires on the MPLS craigslist. Maybe you can scoop up a built set?

I never go down to the city's, so unless someone would be willing to ship the wheels I'm outta luck. (don't have my drivers license)

Back