What/why the difference?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
These two sets of bars are for sale on Ebay by the same guy. The first set are dated 1968 and are $55. The second set is dated 1966 and are $199. I don't understand the big difference. The bars are slightly different, but are they $144 different?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

The difference is the bend at the top, where the grips would go. On 1966 Schwinn bars the bend is really pronounced, almost pointing straight down. Looks at some of Ramshorn Dan's Fastback bikes, you'll see the difference.

I don't think the difference is worth that much in price really. Maybe the 1966 dated bars are that much more rare though. Dan might be able to give more details on that, he knows those early Schwinn Fastbacks better than anyone.

66 dated bars,sweep down style = 66 fastback only ( 67 fastback AND stingray used those, but not in 66 ),68 bars would have been on ALL stingrays, including fairlady,etc... so much more common ?
Unsure otherwise.. I know the early 63-65 bars bring crazy money. That seems a lil high for the 66 set, but that's me......

66 dated bars,sweep down style = 66 fastback only ( 67 fastback AND stingray used those, but not in 66 ),

Did the 66 'ray use the early wide bars? Seems like I've seen some with those.

68 bars would have been on ALL stingrays, including fairlady,etc... so much more common ?
Unsure otherwise.. I know the early 63-65 bars bring crazy money. That seems a lil high for the 66 set, but that's me......

The un-stamped wide bars seem to be real plentiful even though people ask a lot when they know what they are. If you are good at spotting them you can find them cheap because they don't say Schwinn on them.

There is another set of early bars I've seen that are stamped Schwinn but are slightly wider at the bottom. They have more of a u-shape. I have suspected that these were for girls bikes and I've seen a couple sets for sale that were from a girls bike.

Back