What kind of Shelby???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So I picked up this bike on CL locally. I thought it was a 20" Roadmaster or Western Flyer, but looks like it's a Shelby. Has 24 spoke balloon rims with new departure rear coaster and a SHELCO ID plate on the bottom hanger that says "no. 53 2086354" . My research says it's a Shelby - But what model? Flying cloud, Donald duck , etc.? First Shelby I've seen, anybody know what a model 53 is?

Tag pic did not turn out very good - sorry
SHELCO ID plate on the bottom hanger that says "no. 53 2086354"

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I figured someone would know what a model 53 was, but it seems not. Most of the old ads for Shelbys actually have model numbers in them but I haven't seen a 53 yet.

That doesn't seem to match the ads I've seen. If you google old Shelby bicycle ads, they will have a model designation next to the bike, and I've seen them over different years. i.e. =- I've seen ads for a Shelby model "52" from the 40's and 50's. Does anyone have a reference book or something for Shelby's?

Here is a 20" Shelby I found a while back. Different frame. Yours looks like the Donald Duck frame, unfortunately it was probably just a base model 20".

a53e47b6c6c1b6dfaaa0e9b14a1949f9.jpg

09ae00045c4a3652560c45c0a9b85dec.jpg

ab4c81100c9de3f1520f24cde1290a25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I'll have to scrape a little paint and see what the original color is. I don't think it was a Donald Duck bike, but I can't find any literature to reference it either way - the mystery continues...

So i found the original paint color on the bike is gold, a similar tone to the pictures of Shelby Golden Eagle bikes that I've seen. Still no clue on the actual model though!

Back