What kind of pre-war bike is my Grandpa riding?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I recently found a picture of my grandpa Joe on a bike when he was a kid. Judging by his age of about 10-12, I approximate the year to be from about 1936-1939 in Altoona, Pa. at the time. My Gr. Grandpa was a master machinist at the PRR, so he made a decent working wage. I've looked and looked and can't ID this bike, but being ignorant of all things pre-war bike doesn't help... Kinda looks like a prewar Schwinn World Motorbike, but the forks don't have truss rods. Note the klaxon horn and delta light with battery can. Anyone got a clue what this is? I thought it would be cool to remake it.

FYI- this photo is copyrighted to me. Do not copy, repost, or distribute in any format printed or electronic.

Last edited:
Looks like it has a sweet heart sprocket. Almost everyone used a sprocket similar though, so that doesn't really narrow it down. Maybe the fork style can be narrowed down

I was thinking the forks look like Shelby forks from that era or DP Harris, but haven't found one with the same frame or sprocket.

I've never seen a Harris with a sweet heart or fork like that. But Shelby is definitely a possibility or even Dayton/huffman

The fork is the Hangup for me. The Rest of the bike looks just likes schwinn excelsior or motorbike from the 1930's, but the fork looks like the Shelby or DP Harris fork. Did schwinn makes a local brand bike without the common schwinn truss rods?

Back