What is Crank Length?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to keep bombarding this forum, but I'm pretty new to much of this.. It's very straight forward, but nomenclature and wording are getting me.

Anyway, what exactly does crank length determine? IE, I discover that my cranks are pretty badly corroded under the paint, so I've decided to replace them with:

http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_inf ... cts_id/467

but, what size do I need? The arms are about 6" long from end to end, and the center section is 3.5" from thread to thread (normal, right?). The size is what exactly? The length of the arms from the center section to the end of the arm where the pedals mount? Or am I missing the point?

Thanks!

cman, thanks! I just wasn't sure if the length was the length of the arms, or something else... I'm going to go with 6.5" This is for my western flyer Trophies, huffy frames.

Misfit: Nomenclature = terminology, nomenclature, language (a system of words used to name things in a particular discipline) "legal terminology"; "biological nomenclature"; "the language of sociology"

Back