What happens with a trike with missing spokes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linmcrae

Lin Fairclough
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trikes aren't my speciality but I was hoping to tap into everyone elses knowledge. I know that a bike with missing spokes is asking for trouble with the hub and frame/forks but what can happen to a trike with missing spokes in the tear tyres? I am going to fix the missing spokes but how urgent is it? Thanks guys in advance! Lin

The wheels are going to wobble. If the rider is rough on it, carrying loads, cornering at more than about 5 mph and/or riding it on two wheels, it's likely they will pop more spokes, leading to catastrophic failure of a wheel.

Trike wheels undergo heightened levels of lateral (sideways) stress, since the trike doesn't lean into the turns like a bicycle does.

Wow thanks. This explains why my nephew had a catastrophic wheel failure. I've been wracking my brain as to why it collapsed but this explains it. Fortunately I've fixed the wheel that didn't collapse replacing the missing spokes and I'm going to totally rebuild the other rear wheel. Lin

Latest posts

Back