WestPoint full chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
West Point by AMF
full chrome except where a bit pealed off on the down tube.
mostly intact tank. Missing bulbs & lens. Reflector shiny bits fell off. Missing rear rack. Chain broken but included. Tires holding air. Tires replaced at som time. Will be trying out a new chrome cleaner on this bike.
Serial number lookup anyone? Links to adverts? Year?

WestPoint.R149406 (1).JPG

WestPoint.R149406 (11).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (2).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (3).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (4).JPG

I've tried to get a good list for the AMF made bikes. No luck, the info isn't reliable. It looks to be 60's. I'm guessing 1966. It's possible there are a couple of batteries in the tank. Older D cell batteries had a 2 digit date code on them.

No batteries in there. Good they didn't leak out and make a mess.
I found a couple hints for 1967 or 1972. IMO, 1972 is too late. I'm guessing more like 1963. Some www posters think AMF tied the first letter to particular retailer brands, not any year.

Westpoint – this brand was made for True Value Hardware. Some of these were made by Murray or Cotter. Generally low-end bikes, not very collectible due to branding. "

"In 1948, John Cotter founded Cotter & Company, a retailer-owned company that included 25 independently owned and operated stores. With the purchase of Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett in 1963, Cotter not only acquired the company, but also the True Value trademark—a long-standing brand and presence since 1932."

"Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co.
This leading hardware dealership was the descendant of a Chicago store called Tuttle, Hibbard & Co., which took that name in 1855 when William G. Hibbard became a partner. In 1865, Hibbard was joined by Franklin F. Spencer, and the enterprise was renamed Hibbard & Spencer. By 1867, the company's annual sales of hardware had reached $1 million. When longtime company employee A. C. Bartlett became a partner in 1882, the company's name became Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett & Co. When Spencer died in 1890, the company was already among the leading wholesalers of hardware in the United States. In 1903, the year Hibbard died, the company opened a 10-story warehouse next to State Street Bridge in downtown Chicago. In 1932, the company introduced a new line of hand tools under the brand name “True Value.” By 1948, Hibbard's annual sales reached nearly $30 million. Business slowed and profits were shrunk, however, as new hardware cooperatives began to bypass traditional wholesalers. In 1962, the company's owners, who wanted to move into the real-estate business, sold the hardware operations and the “True Value” brand to John Cotter for $2.5 million."

Last edited:
Up to 1963, a good list is out there. My guess at 1966 is following the succession of letters from 1957, starting with G, They went H, J, K, L, M and N. Since many bike makers skipped I's and O's in the serial number to avoid confusion with 1's and 0's, I skipped O in my guesswork. That would put "R" as 1966.
Here's the list of CWC before and after AMF bought them out. I've been lucky to have had a 46 and a 53 CWC, along with a 60's AMF. I don't remember the serial number.
definite serial chart CWC.jpg

169848_10150107868356737_706863_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back