Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like help determining an age for this Western Flyer I picked up at a farm sale a while back. The serial number is MC 58242 but it also has an AMF sticker below the seat with AMF 2016A on it. It has 26 X 1.75 tires. Can I put 26 X 2.125 tires on these rims? Also, what do you call these fenders that are peaked rather than rounded on top? I have an AMF Roadmaster that has these type of fenders also but in chrome. It came without any handlebars but I do have the chainguard.

Any help is appreciated!

DSC05112.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

DSC05115.jpg

Your bike has the sprocket used just before the star sprocket and the seat stem tightens like a handlebar stem, so I'd say it was made in the first years they made them in Arkansas, starting in 1957. Late 50's would probably be as close as you'll get. There isn't a sequence that's been figured out yet to ID it by the serial number. A 26 x 2.125 tire will fit on there, but it's a very close fit to the chainstays up by the kickstand.

Wildcat said:
Your bike has the sprocket used just before the star sprocket and the seat stem tightens like a handlebar stem, so I'd say it was made in the first years they made them in Arkansas, starting in 1957. Late 50's would probably be as close as you'll get. There isn't a sequence that's been figured out yet to ID it by the serial number. A 26 x 2.125 tire will fit on there, but it's a very close fit to the chainstays up by the kickstand.

To add to Wildcat's very well put response, I believe they used that wedge/bolt style set post untill 62'. THE fattest tires that fit on mine with fenders is a generic 26 x 1.75-2.125 (an actual 26 x 1.95 in reality) as pictured and a tru 26 x 2.125 tire with minimal clearance in the chainguards, like pict two. Sweet bike, they ride really good and are worth the effort to get riding.
Mine is a 60' with a conventional seatpost clamp replacing the wedge/bolt style that came with it.

DSCN1329-1.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Latest posts

Back