Western Flyer Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where I am on my old WF. I decided to keep all the original parts and exchange some for riding around. I bought these fenders from Simplemans garage sale here on the forum. I painted them matte black and thinned down some cream colored paint. While it was wet, I rolled the cream paint into some rust flakes on my workbench to "age" it. I added new pedals and a new chain, greased everything, sanded the really rusted steel wheels down to pitted metal and clear coated them to keep them ratted but polished all the brass nipples to contrast the two. A couple of new whitewalls and my old Trek kickstand for the time being and off we go. Brian in Holland MI

DSC_2389.jpg

DSC_2548.jpg

DSC_2550.jpg

Should I leave the chain guard like it is or paint it black and aged to go with the fenders? The adage of "it's only original once" scares me from painting it. Thanks for the input. Brian

Greystoke said:
Should I leave the chain guard like it is or paint it black and aged to go with the fenders? The adage of "it's only original once" scares me from painting it. Thanks for the input. Brian

I would give it the Black and aged treatment, and make it part of the bike where it belongs... my 2 cents.

A part from that, you´ve made a great job fixing that WF, looks awesome!

Back