Western Flyer Silverstone Flyer 5 speed British? Raleigh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this bike I bought?
I've looked around and am pretty "google" proficient but can find nothing about his bike.

It seems obviously British but I don't know who the maker was. Any ideas?
From the decal, it was made as a 5-speed, but has modern Shimano componants

What is this thing?
How old?
Any value?

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

012.jpg

Re: British Western Flyer Silverstone Flyer 5 speed Raleigh?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Lots of hits on this but no responses. I was stumped too!

Well, THAT'S different! :lol: Judging from the metal headbadge, i'd say it's from the early 60s. A lot of the American stores imported these style bikes in that era. Usually, they're either made in England, Austria, or W.Germany. Tough to tell them apart unless you happen to find a "made in __" sticker! Not really collectible. Neat though! -Adam

I need to inspect it better looking for markings.

It looks like it should be a good rider, someone replaced lots of parts on it.

I'd just like to know anything about it since google came up completely dry. I didn't think it has too much cash value, but then again, I paid $20.

Come on, someone must know something.

The wierd thing, it that other than this thread, There is absolutely nothing about these anywhere on the internet.

It has a decal that says "Guaranteed English Light Weight"
We found a serial number that looks like 361070

I just recieved a book that mainly documents Western Flyer bikes. It only says that Raliegh built bikes (Imported through Huffman) have a 'Western flyer' decal on the seat tube, and Hercules built bikes (Imported through AMF) have a 'hercules' decal there. Nothing revealing concerning serial numbers. Sorry! Also, it only goes up to 1959. -Adam

Check Sheldon Brown's site for general and specific English info; Raleigh's Nottingham factory made so many of the 'names' as they were bought up, and they had some proprietory threads on many parts, ie, 26TPI that can help identify them from the 'English clones'.
I regret not buying a Japanese 'English' ladies bike a couple of years ago (so many bikes, so little time), I hadnt know they made such a thing.
Nice vintage bikes, they all are, but the British ones are like British cars, motorcycles, and who knows what else (no insult intended, mates!), a bit futzy to sort out sometimes, but mostly owner serviceable. Unfortunately now, here in the States, it is iffy to find basic parts, tyres, proper spanners, etc.; dont expect the the LBS to have anything or know much about them. Mine (a 1/2hr. drive away) has been in business several years and the fellow I talked with 2 weeks ago had never even had anyone, until me, ask about 'Raleigh' parts.
This got me to thinking that my old Schwinn Varsity might best be refurbished in Brit style/colors; at least I can get parts and 27" clinchers for it yet.

Luckily, most of the fussy British stuff is gone.
It still has the classic look but newer wheels and all shimano components.

It's not the original Hercules, Raleigh bought out Hercules and some other companies in 1960 and made those bikes. They are good bikes, but a notch under the Raleigh bike quality. Your bike is one of those post 1960 Hercules made by Raleigh bikes.

That's strange, I just remembered this thread and what do you know? It's been a year. I still don't know anything about it but I got some nice white tires and a white seat to put on it.

Apologies for resurrecting this decade old thread, I wonder if OP still has his bike and his experience with it. I am planning to pick one up today and this is the only thread exists on the internet for this bike!

358999915_9790342974341700_5122222449166749762_n_ce656713fd17efbf38267a730b8709defa602fc5.jpg

360084468_6799609736774076_6311341889485803652_n_8bf9e8cf6da2b0f73420ea06c6ede829d52aef66.jpg

Back