Wasn't the Flightliner made in the '60's?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy on marketplace claims that his JC Higgins Flightliner is a '54 (even though for some reason he has it listed as a '51) and he also claims that he has paperwork from when it was new to prove it. 1954 was the end of the line for balloon tire bikes, so this bike would be built after '54, and I'm guessing more like late '50's. Does anyone know what years the Flightliner was made?
Screenshot 2023-08-20 7.10.20 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's all the info I could find:
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle398
The ad lists a Freightliner, so that's suspect right away. No such thing, it's a Flightliner. Have him show the paperwork. And more pics, maybe it's a scam. It's been up over seven weeks so it may be time to offer what you think it's worth and go from there.

On these Sears bikes, they added the catalog number to the serial number. You can match the bike to the old catalog if you know what numbers are the stock numbers.
For Murray, who made those bikes for Sears, there's a letter sequence. Look for an MO and a letter, MO is Murray of Ohio. Letters for 58 to 63 go in order from P, R, S, T, U, W. Q and V are skipped on the list I have. MOP would be 1958.

The serial numbers may be on the bottom bracket or rear dropout depending on year.

Latest posts

Back