Trek fuel zr9000 has a squeak

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishing for advice: bike makes short squeaks every few seconds while riding and I can't determine the source. I hope that someone here may have some insight or a suggestion about it.
Bought it 2nd hand maybe 10 years ago or longer from a young couple who were serious technical-trailers and ready for a better version bike. I replaced the rusting pedals, the breaks, the chain, and the seat. My only beef with it is how heavy it is. Otherwise I am happy with the bike.

fishing for advice: bike makes short squeaks every few seconds while riding and I can't determine the source. I hope that someone here may have some insight or a suggestion about it.
Bought it 2nd hand maybe 10 years ago or longer from a young couple who were serious technical-trailers and ready for a better version bike. I replaced the rusting pedals, the breaks, the chain, and the seat. My only beef with it is how heavy it is. Otherwise I am happy with the bike.
When does the squeak happen? Does it happen while pedaling as well as well coasting? Does it happen while seated as well as well standing?

Most common causes on a bike are the bottom bracket and the seatpost. And in most cases it's just a matter of cleaning and adding grease. Give us some more detail on when and how it occurs and we might be able to help you get to the root of the problem

Is your Fuel a hardtail? My research indicates otherwise...
p2pb9754516.jpg

That's going to add a whole bunch of pivot points and bushings that could be squeaking.

The Fuel was notorious for squeaking at the pivot bushings, as well as chain suck. A friend was over the other evening and we were discussing that style FS design and the design engineering issues many of them had. The Fuel had a litany of design issues, which is why they don't fetch much on the used market. Some of the models had decent parts and could make great donor bikes for a nice era hardtail build.

If it squeaks when sitting still, then that's a rat problem, which makes this the perfect forum for help.

I’ll try these suggestions this weekend. I do have an issue with chain suck. Easy to recover from but very unpleasant to suddenly peddle on empty. This bike is full suspension with rear air pressure shock. If what said here about this bike by different contributors is true, should I look for a better used mountain bike?

If what said here about this bike by different contributors is true, should I look for a better used mountain bike?

Bought it 2nd hand maybe 10 years ago or longer... My only beef with it is how heavy it is. Otherwise I am happy with the bike
It has made you happy for ten years. Don't replace it based on the opinion of forum comments. Only replace it if it isn't up to the required task. For me, a squeaky bike would be a problem, I'd be driven nuts hunting for the problem, which would prevent me from entering the zone when riding. But I wouldn't sell, I don't really sell bikes

If what said here about this bike by different contributors is true, should I look for a better used mountain bike?
I'm not even going to say YMMV here, a medium quality rigid singlespeed would be infinitely better. Maybe buy a used hardtail frame and swap parts over. The problems with those frames have no fix, which is why nobody ever bothered to produce or market any upgrades for them.

Back