Total NooB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fellas, started with a short intro. I am so new to this bike thing its not funny. I am a long time rodder, but gas and all (you know the rest).
I want to build a motored bike, that looks like an old wood track bike or cafe racer thing, I dont really know how to describe it. I do need a few speeds for the hills where I live. I want to start with a frame, but am not finding what I want, any ideas or help would be awesome. I want them fat baloon tires too! The bike a I am thinking of is called a FELT MP thats all I know.

Do you want a bike with multiple speeds or a motor with multiple speeds? You would have to find a small dirtbike engine or something (I think the old honda 50 and 70cc bikes had clutchless 3 speeds) or do some major engineering to the popular bicycle motor kits, they have one speed, no gearbox.

That's the idea I've had in my mind lately! Thanks Upper Class. Except I was going to just have my left side drive motor run to the bottom bracket (sprocket on both sides) that would drive the normal bike drivetrain with rear derailure. I'll do it someday, when I'm not broke :roll:

Upper Class White Trash said:

I like to see that running under load with the derailluer. I would seem that the torque on the springs would just pull the heck out of the springs.
I wonder if there's a setup for a coaster crank so that you could still pedal. anyone know if thats available?

duct-tape said:

I like to see that running under load with the derailluer. I would seem that the torque on the springs would just pull the heck out of the springs.
I wonder if there's a setup for a coaster crank so that you could still pedal. anyone know if thats available?

the torque is applied to the tops of the cogs by the chain and chain is being fed to the derailleur and you have an excess of chain. i think something would have to bind to pull it tight enough to cause a problem but yeah i think the spring life will be short in this application

One drawback I see with driving the pedal crank is that you can't easily just coast along- you've got no place to put your feet if the pedals are spinning 200 rpm. Might get whacked by a pedal as well.

duct-tape said:
the shimano FF system would overcome that
so does this shimano ff crank freewheel??
i tried to look it up but found this and looked in awe...
StronglightSPth.jpg

duct-tape said:
the shimano FF system would overcome that
so does this shimano ff crank freewheel??
i tried to look it up but found this and looked in awe...
StronglightSPth.jpg

nifty crank.
yeah, I am picking up an FF system from a local shop on monday, I checked it out, the chainwheel turns but the crank doesn't.
I have a couple bike motors with the output on the left side, I wonder if I could mount a crank on the left side that will turn the FF... hmm.
I may have to look for a right-side output motor.

Back