Tire Choice for 24 inch frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought two 24" bikes on US epay and since I have too wait 3 MONTHS for them to get here, I have lots of time to plan the builds :roll:

One of the key decisions will be what tires to run, and therefore what rims to lace up.

The general plan (evolving by the minute :wink: ) is to store the original wheels away and set up some powder coated rims with stainless or black spokes, a nexus multispeed with coaster rear hubs and a nice black hubs up front....... more practical, lighter and stronger for bikes that my kids will be riding.

So ........ what cool tires are available for 24" wheels?

Over here all I can get (that I have found anyway) are MTB or road tires in 24 inch.

I know i can get 24 x 1.75 www from US based suppliers........ but what else is around :?:

Are there 24 x 2.5 (or similar) whitewalls available?

Are the creme or brown/red (or black) "groved" or "brick" style tires available in a 24 ....... like the QuickBrick or the new Schwinn copies :?:

The big cool 24 x 3 tires from Electra, Nirve, Felt or Dyno are intended for 26 inch frames ..... anyone tried to squeze one into middleweight 24 inch frames :shock:

I like the "bobber" sort of look like on the Electra Sparker Spl, so one option MAY be to run a 26 inch springer and wheel up front with a 26 x 2.5, BUT I'd need something wider than 2.5 on the back

Ideas please guys .........we only have 3 months to plan these bikes :mrgreen:

Markm said:
20 X 3's? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Funny you should mention that ....

This is an early photo of one of Josh's bikes.

normal_IMG_0622.JPG

It's a 24 inch huffy mountain bike frame, stripped of all the crap and fitted with the 48 spoke wheels and tires from a Razor chopper.

Since that photo was taken I have taken an inch out of the rear frame above the dropouts and bent the lower legs up, painted it flat black, and fitted a different set of forks (same style) that I have shortened heaps so the 24 x 1.75 tire just clears the bottom tree. It has black beach cruiser bars now. Next step will be yellow paint over the front half ....... sort of a Moon style bobber

I just scored an identical frame and spent yesterday stripping off the MTB stuff and removing the welded in cable clamps, threads for the drink holder etc etc.

I am contemplating reworking the rear legs to see if I can squeeze a 24 x 3 Electra Fati-O in there, if it fits then I will build it with a 26" springer with 26 x 2.36. Powder coated creame, with black wheels .......... basically a poor mans version of a Sparker Spl :oops:

If the 24 x 3 doesn't fit, I'll just do another one like above with 20 x 3 and maybe a 22 inch front wheel and my 8 year old can grow into it

Heres what I've done w/ a 24" Columbia frame 24x3 felt on back its such a good fit I have to let the air out to get it on ..and NO rubbing. the front is a 26x2.125 Tycoon ...yes Typhoon copy the tread are similiar design so it worked well :shock: :shock: :shock:
IMG_0171c2.jpg

IMG_0176c2.jpg
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :idea:
There is always my MOTTO: Iff it don't fit ..MAKE it fit

That is a tight fit ............ won't be any fenders going in there :mrgreen:

I have a felt 24 x 3 FatBrick on order at present and will try it when my frames get here.

floridasfavson said:
Outsider13- Would the Felt quickbrick tire fit up front? I am asking because I just got a 24in bike and thinking about ordering a set.
I do know that there are forks wide enough to fit them, :| But Cant name one specific

Mr. Farrell said:
wow. where did you get that sprocket??
Its a roadmaster I do believe, :mrgreen: with a painted plate behind it

Back