Tips on painting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I am quite the noob at this painting thing. I recently had to re-strip/sand a frame after a quite unsuccessful attempt at painting. I have been reading a lot on this board and elsewhere on the net I think I have good handle on how to go about round two with this bike. My question involves the types of spray paint you guys would recomend. Right now I have a few cans of high gloss color spray paint. Should I bother with gloss if I am going to put on a clear coat when I am done with color? Also are there any specific brands of paint you would recomend I get or stay away from?

Any help would render cool results.

Thanks,

Alex

If you plan on getting a perfect finish with gloss you'll be spending a lot of time on prep sanding and color sanding. I would most definitely use an etching or sealing primer first. A lot of people here use flat or satin because it hides a lot of the imperfections on these old bikes. You could spray a satin color and then clear it with a high gloss and get good results. Just take your time in the prep work.

As a sider...your base HAS to be perfectly smooth before you start laying on the color/gloss coats.

Dont mix and match different paint brands.

Any imperfections in the base/primer WILL SHOW in the final finish.

Wet sand/take your time.

Thanks guys,

I got my second coat of primer down yesterday. Hopefully I can start putting on some color this week. Maybe I'll post pictures as i go along and you guys can let me know what you think.

I know its been said but I am really glad there is a cool forum for this kind of thing. You guys rock.

Alex

Back