"Them Bones"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here is my entry for the build off. it's my first one, and i'm glad to be part of it.
i'm using a 1953 schwinn straightbar frame. previous owner had painted black primer over the entire bike to hide the rust, chain, seat, wheels/tires, everything!
this is how it looked when i started:
P1030791.jpg

i sanded it down by hand and counted at least 5 coats of old paint:
P1030846.jpg

here it is in primer and mocked up with some parts from my garage. i rode it for the first time and liked it. i plan on using the white tires and painted rims, and possibly the fenders. i'm going to use a different front end and stem/bars combo:
P1030850.jpg

i'll update with info and pics as it progresses, and i am open to any comments you might have.
thanks, and good luck to all, will

I feel so alonooone, gonna end up a big ol' pile of them bones! :D

Bike looks great, like them bonewhite tires! :) Black bars maybe?

you're all reading my mind. i'm thinking of a two tone paint job with all the parts blacked out. i recovered the saddle for a different project, but never used it. i don't yet know if i'll keep it on here. i hope to get after it today and get some more work done. i'll post a pic of the progress(if any). yes i'm guilty, i do love AIC.

a quick update.
i finally got a chance to wrench on some stuff today. i have a newborn at home, and time to work is scarce.
i swapped the springer front end for a cw roadmaster fork with truss rods. i have a headlight that i am working on to attach to the fork. i also changed the bars and stem, i've been wanting to use these bars with the cross brace, but the chrome is shot and they need painting, perfect for this bike. the last thing i got done was to bob the rear fender. the front is next, hopefully soon.
P1050169.jpg

P1050170.jpg

P1050167.jpg

here it is with guard, fender skirts, and headlight mocked up. all stuff that has been sitting in my parts boxes. a few more mods, and i'll be ready to strip it down to paint.
P1050164.jpg

P1050162.jpg

always like to hear opinions. the front does need to be shortened or removed, and the rear just massaged into place a little.

looks great! i think once you get the fenders bobbed and massaged, its done! 8)

Latest posts

Back