The Green Monster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my first (and probably last, judging by my wife's "Not another project!" attitude) build.

Had some 26" wheels and whitewalls and some nice retro handlebars laying around from another bike project that didn't turn out as well as I would have liked (making a rat rod out of a discarded mountain bike). So when I ran across a Schwinn Speedster frame on Craigslist, the gears started meshing...

The starting point:
SpeedsterStart.jpg

First things first. Made sure the frame was decently straight, which consisted of eyeballing it- everything looks decent. The crank and headset both turned a bit stiff, but nothing binding or uneven. The seat post came right out with a bit of twisting and some WD-40, so that's one less potential headache.

Time to get to work.

Pulling the crank revealed a pleasant surprise or two. It was apparent that the crank had never been rebuilt- I recognized the gooey, peanut butter factory grease from my days as a bicycle mechanic back in the 1970s. But the stuff apparenly does its job well- everything inside was in remarkable shape. And despite all of the external rust, the crank innards were perfectly preserved:

SA361.jpg

So I'm guessing that S*A*3*61 means "Schwinn Approved" with a March, 1961 build date. My fourth birthday was in March of '61. If this bike could talk...

The headset wasn't in quite so good a condition:

TopRace.jpg

Original bearings weren't obvioulsy buggered, but looks like time for a run to the bike shop for a bearing race...

More as time permits.

good start! might have a little bit of trouble getting that specific race, depending on your bike shop.

Yeah, that's the "upside down" bearing race that Schwinn used from around 1960-64. Could be tricky to find, but there's always ebay. I'm looking forward to seeing this one built! ~Adam

Had a bit of time to do some scrounging and work on the Monster.

Hit up the local bike shop, scored a set of brand new but shipping damaged fenders. Like an idiot I didn't take any "before" shots, suffice to say they were nice and shiny two-tone green & white that didn't match the bike in any way. Time to start the rust-o-ration:

Stripped 'em, but not completely:
Fenders1.jpg

Shiny new paint isn't going to look right with the battered OEM Schwinn green. First step: dab 'em with a sponge soaked in battery electrolyte. Then put 'em in a plastic garbage bag with a bit of water and let 'em sit overnight:
Fenders2.jpg

When I get a chance they'll get a thin coat or two of flat white paint, followd by some polishing with 0000 steel wool to bring though the rust and some of the original paint.

Next, the pedals. Tried to find some rusted old ones, could only find boatloads of recent-vintage plastic pedals. What to do?

If you can't find old parts, rust-o-rize some new ones:

New $12 pedals:
Pedals1.jpg

Sponge and battery acid:
Pedals2.jpg

Put 'em in a bag with some water:
Pedals4.jpg

Instant "old" pedals that should continue to age with exposure to the elements:
Pedals3.jpg

I plan to hit the rubber treads with a wire wheel to round 'em off and wear 'em in a bit.

That's it for now, gotta get some spokes so I can lace up the rear wheel.

Latest posts

Back