the bus bike. not a build yet, just working on the idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture097.jpg

they put these racks on the local buses a few years back, but nothing of the things i've made and like best comes close to fitting in it.

the rack is 5' from tip to tip and measuring normal bikes i have it looks like from the leading edge of the front wheel to the trailing edge of the back the bike can be 5'6" long. looks like no super wide tires either as best i can tell. 2.125 is the limit.

so that's the idea. i almost never ride the bus, but i'm gonna make me something interesting that i can put on this rack just to try it..

Here's something I built a while back out of spare junk. It's a cheapy 24" suspension mtb frame, 27" road bike fork and 20" wheels. I added a piece of tubing sleeved over the rear shock to raise the back of the bike for plenty of pedal clearance.
bike12.jpg

SSG said:

this one is closer to what i'm thinking, but just now taking pics in the garage i pulled out something that would work like that fixie looking bike too. a folding mountain bike
Picture101.jpg

i recently found a second one of these. i used to keep one folded in my truck. now that i think of it it's a natural for it really. it would fit on the bus as is plus the folding makes it more transportable. probaly just a laid back post and maybe a handlebar change is all i'd do to it.

i really want to make something more interesting though, on to what i'm actually considering...

here's an actual city bike. i'm not gonna mess with it (i'm always tempted to take the seat though), but it's kinda part of what i'm using for inspiration
Picture100.jpg

this is the one i'm eyeing right now for it
Picture102.jpg

i made my nephew a bike using part of a frame like this, and i'm thinking a laid back seat post, not kicking the pedals as far forward, and taking some care of keeping the front end within the lenth limit might do the trick.
here's his bike
Picture024.jpg

there's also the idea of sort of a mini burrito type something. i have a bfk krate, but i found out about that deal late and just have one. if i find another or a similar frame cheap i may use it. again thinking laid back post or better trying to keep the banana seat and the smaller wheels will help reel the lenth in. stingray
Picture066.jpg

truthfully this one will happen eventually anyway, weather it fits on a bus or not. i just like the idea of stretching out a stingray.

who knows? by the time i figure out something i may find another frame and run off in a compleatly different direction, but for now these are the top candidates.

Back