the Athlete is a go.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i've posted these shots before, but now i've decided to actually do something with it. so here's the start of this build diary :) kind of a 'zeppish' style frame- also quite small.

here's how it appeared in the ebay listing (my 9.99 was the only bid..... )

12381083751.jpg

here it is quickly cleaned up and sporting a 24" mx fork. now i'm pretty sure it's actually a 26" so i'm adding an old kinda biplane style mtb fork from an ancient hulk of a khs. it struck me that the canti bosses could become strut guides, so that's where i'm heading up front. i haven't done a 'form over function' bike before, but this frame certainly ain't klunker material...... here comes something cheap and fun :wink:

DSC01634.jpg

productivity.........

..........well, got a lot done tonight. finished the 'beaver' build off klunker (now scouting photo locations :) ) and still had time to putter some more! mocked up the athlete with parts left over from my '42 bfg. i was going to build new wheels, etc, but i think i like the 'barn find condition' look. it was nearing dark so you'll just have to believe me when i say the seat doesn't look like a sheepskin cover in the daytime!

sorry, gettin' dark.....still needs some tlc- clean/grease the bb, do something w/that saddle...(?), don't especially like that stem/bar, a battery pack, and air in the tires would be nice :roll:

DSC01746.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

the canti boss/strut guides. the struts are only 1/4" but what the heck, it's just for fun :D

DSC01751.jpg

Nice job. That old paint is great. Please tell us what you used on the brake bosses. Very cool idea.

cman said:
Nice job. That old paint is great. Please tell us what you used on the brake bosses. Very cool idea.

i scrounged a couple of the shoe holding bolts from some canti brakes- the threads are the same and screwed them in over a couple little pieces of brass tube i used to make the bosses/bolts look like a single diameter. i'll paint it black soon, just covered w/tape to see what they looked like for now....

Now thats a rad bike......i really like the flow of it so far........the truss bars look amazing.....nice clean craftsmanship.......keep us posted with youur progress.......

well, i decided to do very little else to the bike, found i really did like the 'barn find' look. had to get rid of the stamped and folded stem though- i hate those things! luckily iwas able to get one of the old grips off and back on (thanks to the 'hit the wrench' method i learned on rrb!) i may disassemble the trusses and add a couple little springs just for fun someday. the tubing is brass, some black springs might look nice....here's a daylight shot of a canti boss/strut guide. i posted some finished pictures on the 'gallery' section. :)

DSC00134.jpg

Latest posts

Back