TBA [Out of ideas, to be honest]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time...

Well, here's the story... Last January I saw an old racer bikes frame for sale for 10€... Sounds great, but the little bugger was over 100kms away... And it looked like it had seen way too much... Still, I was never known for making the most rational decisions ever, so I borrowed my Dads car and away I went.

This is how the bike looked when it was NEW

CICLISTAJOFEAL28.jpg

[not that bad ehh?]

... and this is how it looked when I got it...

47487732_1.jpg

Work was a bit too intense at the time, so I left it lying around 'till I left the company, mid April.

First assessment:
No wheels [the ones you saw there aren't hers]
Frame was slightly bent, and it could no longer be used as a multi-gear bike as the place to put the derrailleur was literally gone...
No seat,
handlebars and stem were busted,
Crankset was bent... I saved the cranks but as it turned out it wasn't a great idea [I'll tell you the story 'bout them further down]

And it had seen at least 4 paint jobs in its life... Last one was done with a brush and was thick as a mat...

Bought:
1L of paint remover
A lot of sand paper
stems, seats, handlebars, grips, pedals, chain, freewheel, wheels, tyres, brakes, cables
Quite a lot of primer, colour and clearcoat [rattlecan paint job]

By the time you guys posted the beginning of the 5th RRBBO, I had already sanded the frame to bare metal... Cell phone shots were terrible, so the only thing I can show you guys of that lady in the nude is this:

SP_A0241.jpg

(filled the bottom braket's hole for the cable to run though with epoxy... not perfect, I know)

Realized then, while i was cleaning the inside of the seat tube with WD40 that it had a very tiny fracture on the bottom braket... Couldn't get anyone to weld it so - epoxy and an aweful lot of prayers... But it seems to be holding it together nicely :roll:

Ohh, and about the cranks... When I got the bike I say that the cotters weren't well in place, but I thought nothing of it... As it turns out, and having finished doing them up [you'll see how they look on the final shots], I realized on my first test ride that the left one was wobling back and forth when I pedalled... As it turns out the genius that had it before got the hole for the cotter larger than it was in the first place, and there's nothing I can do besides buying a new set of cranks... Trouble is, they don't make 'em like this anymore, and I can't find any NOS stuff around here... Good think my herniated disks ain't letting me ride eh? :lol:

Here are some shots of my paint booth :D All masked and primed up

SP_A0244.jpg

SP_A0243.jpg

SP_A0245.jpg

And the final shots of this beaut' all done [ok, less the cranks... gotta find some in good nick]

Foto0008-1.jpg

Foto0013.jpg

Foto0012.jpg

Foto0011.jpg

Foto0010.jpg

Foto0009.jpg

Foto0007.jpg

Foto0006.jpg

Foto0005.jpg

Foto0004.jpg

Foto0003.jpg

Foto0014.jpg

Well... Hope you guys like it :D I sure had a blast doing it up!!!!

I'll post the list with all the supplies later on

Latest posts

Back