taking off a head badge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i have a silly question, but how can i take off a head badge with out ruining the badge? the bike is a 53 monark, and i want the head badge off so that i can paint the bike and make the head badge more presentable. i know that it has to be a simple thing, but what is it? it is not the screw kind (of course).
thanks in advance!

I assume it is riveted. Easy to get out by drill the center of the rivets with a smaller bit. Harder to get back in.
Tap the holes and screw it on.
Find a way to re rivet
Make some aluminum pegs, freeze and drive in. They might contract enough to fit in then expand back when warm.

Some of the old rivets were called "pound-ins" for obvious reasons. I have seen people selling them packed with badges before. They expand as they are pounded in.

thanks. i knew that it was easier than i was thinking! i just have to be careful cuz the badge looks killer and was covered with a sticker so it looks to be in good shape.
thnx again!

I tried all of their methods and messed up a headbadge. the way i found that works the best is to take off the neck bearing cups and slide a piece of pipe ...maybe 1'' inside and then tap it with a hammer. That was tap not pound , the backside of the rivets where they come through the neck and when they stick out in the front pull them out with little vice grips. One I had to turn as i pulled out.

Why not use double sided automobile emblem tape? Just askin'. :)

Back