Sweet Typhoon not for sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While out for a bike ride a few days ago, I spotted this sweet old Typhoon behind a flower shop near a greenhouse. I contacted the owner and she first said that she would sell it but then the next day she changed her mind. I even doubled my offer but no luck! It looks to be all original and in decent shape. (Yeah the forks are on backwards, easy fix lol!) I really wanted this one. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be degraded as yard art with a basket of flowers attached to it. So sad! Anyway, I was just curious as to what kind of value does this model of Schwinn have? Also, any idea what year it might be?

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
With the red band Bendix coaster hub, it's probably 60's. Good paint and chrome back then. Value depends on where you are and it's condition.
It looks to be all there except the handlebar stem and was well taken care of, pedals, seat and handle grips aren't scuffed. The fork probably is backwards from where they tried to add the Wald stem, I think it is too fat to fit the Schwinn fork. They kept the Schwinn handlebars on there which is good.
If it belonged to someone in the family, then it will stay there. But if not, maybe a deal could be worked. Get a nice girl's bike with a flowered basket or something and swap, if she'll go for it.

While out for a bike ride a few days ago, I spotted this sweet old Typhoon behind a flower shop near a greenhouse. I contacted the owner and she first said that she would sell it but then the next day she changed her mind. I even doubled my offer but no luck! It looks to be all original and in decent shape. (Yeah the forks are on backwards, easy fix lol!) I really wanted this one. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be degraded as yard art with a basket of flowers attached to it. So sad! Anyway, I was just curious as to what kind of value does this model of Schwinn have? Also, any idea what year it might be?
I agree with @Wildcat try to trade for another bike. I think that is the lower end folded ,stamped stem they offered on lower end bikes like Typhoon and Hollywood. The pedals alone are worth $65/75 see if you can get her to at least trade for them. I love my Typhoons but they do not hold the value of the other more dressed out bikes.

With the red band Bendix coaster hub, it's probably 60's. Good paint and chrome back then. Value depends on where you are and it's condition.
It looks to be all there except the handlebar stem and was well taken care of, pedals, seat and handle grips aren't scuffed. The fork probably is backwards from where they tried to add the Wald stem, I think it is too fat to fit the Schwinn fork. They kept the Schwinn handlebars on there which is good.
If it belonged to someone in the family, then it will stay there. But if not, maybe a deal could be worked. Get a nice girl's bike with a flowered basket or something and swap, if she'll go for it.
Her husband found it somewhere and gave it to her. Communication with her is terrible, I've messaged her several times. She doesn't answer her text messages and I don't think she'll do a trade so I'll let it go. I just bought that Torpedo anyway so I have a project to keep me busy for a while. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
I agree with @Wildcat try to trade for another bike. I think that is the lower end folded ,stamped stem they offered on lower end bikes like Typhoon and Hollywood. The pedals alone are worth $65/75 see if you can get her to at least trade for them. I love my Typhoons but they do not hold the value of the other more dressed out bikes.
I don't think she will do any kind of trades, she is dead set on keeping it and keeping it as it is. Also, communication with her is terrible, I've messaged her several times and she doesn't answer her text messages. Thanks for the reply.

Back