Sunday May 3rd, New London CT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all the rat rodders and other folks who showed up for this one. We had a fun time regardless of the weather.

Here are some more of the pics from the ride:

Starting off, riding up into the Fort Trumbull park to the main entrance. It's a very impressive structure in what's called "Egyptian Revival" architecture.

fttrumride2.jpg

There are old stone powder magazines, gun emplacements, tracks for guns that were removed, underground ammunition storerooms.

fttrumride3.jpg

The public couldn't ride here, walk here, or BE here under any circumstances for many years, when this was a Navy Research Lab. (Originally called Naval Underwater Systems Center or NUSC).

fttrumride4.jpg

The site was renamed NUWC, Naval Undersea Warfare Center, the headquarters was reassigned to Newport, RI, and the work gradually was taken away from this facility starting in about 1994.

fttrumride5.jpg

There's still one essential working Navy building on site, the square block you see in the background, a periscope research building. Deemed too important to be moved, and of course top secret as was all work that went on in this entire place when it was in Navy control. The whole hillside and Fort building was populated with rundown office buildings, labs, garages and warehouses. All of this was cleared when the Navy gave the property to the State of CT.

fttrumride6.jpg

The waterfront was rebuilt with a new seawall, this roadway, and fishing piers. At the same time upgrades were made by the State to improve the adjacent piers for the US Coast Guard, which has its Academy here in New London.

fttrumride7.jpg

This world-class fishing pier was built as a key part of the project. Here's Justin riding his 1930s Elgin boardtracker out onto the pier.

fttrumride8.jpg

Most times of the year, the USCG tall ship Eagle docks at this adjacent pier, a truly impressive landmark in the city. That's downtown New London in the background. The fishing pier is as far out into the Thames River as you can get without being afloat. That's my wife Maria riding the 68 Stingray Deluxe...

fttrumride9.jpg

The USCG uses this site for intervention, search & rescue, emergency calls, and harbor maintenance (lighthouses and buoys). It's probably one of the best-protected harbors in the country!

fttrumride10.jpg

Here's Ian's "sixty-four" boardtracker, my 65 Schwinn Collegiate (with dangerous top-tube shifter, ooh!) and Justin's 1930-something Elgin on the fishing pier.

fttrumride11.jpg

Larry (KOTA) and his wife brought their pair of Higgins/Murray/Sears Flightliner customs. Larry's right, negative trail is downright WEIRD! This bike doesn't ride like a chopper, exactly, but it sure isn't normal! All I can say is, try a bike with that geometry, and you tell me!

fttrumride12.jpg

Thanks Ian for the other pics and the kool video! My wife and friends are on Youtube, how cool is that!

Glad everyone came and hope you enjoyed it, and I promise better weather for the next one. :lol:

Info on our next ride will be posted here:
http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

There will be a minor schedule change in July, so check back with me or get the updated schedule from the site.

Take care all and keep those rat rods rolling!

--Rob

Back