Strange Antique Tandem Freakbike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you thought freakbikes were invented in Chicago?

Reputedly from Laramie Wyoming, circa 1890s.
AAEFA3B6-90B0-4792-B534-20E6257D9825.jpeg

Looks like a lot of brazing on that frame.

This is the best photograph I could get of it so far.

There is a franken tandem thread here but... This is way beyond.

A "franken tandem" is typically two bikes made in to 1 tandem. That looks like Dr Seuss's grand father at work. Maybe some parts from a fancy old bed frame? Yet, all the components are bike parts: crank, handlebars, seats, chains, wheels. No front tire or clearance for one? That's okay, I doubt anyone would get very far.

I see some aberations that also suggest some photoshopery at work.

Those are still shots, taken from a documentary about the Lincoln Highway.
I can’t tell you any more about it. The first pic has strange light reflections.

The first pic has strange light reflections.

That's just ambient background reflection off the screen when the photos were taken. I saw that in both photos. Just tells us someone photographed a flat computer or tv screen in a lit up room.

I noticed. But I'm thinking that's something on the porch of the house. In the one photo you can see some sort of rope or cord on the side of the house that looks quite similar. IMO, just coincidental object merger.

in the 1890s, it was considered proper for the gentleman to ride and steer from the rear seat with the the lady in the front. One simply would not expect the woman to 'drive'. Most rear steer tandems had the connecting links down low so as to not get in the way. Some used a gear with a bit of chain at each end of two linking rods.

Thank you. I was going to post some better shots, too, and here they are.

freaktandem.jpg

Here's a detail shot, and what I believe it shows.

My red arrow indicates the tougue of a small child's wagon by the porch.

Yellow arrow indicates what I initially thought was a curb or board along the edge of this scruffy patch of weeds. I now think it is a photographic artifact, or some damage perhaps.

The green arrow indicates the drag link. This has balls and sockets and the forward one is captured in a spring loaded tube with two clamps. The rear end has no spring. just a ball joint and lock nut on the rod. This design, enlarged, was used on lots of old vehicles. This would of course make offside dismounts difficult.
arrows.jpg

Lovejoys garage;
lovejoys.jpg

"Sign here...and remember to keep it under 8 in town!"
Car looks like a Packard. Bike . . . maybe an Excelsior?
Jocky-shift.jpg

Zoom on the driver's hands. Is that a bribe they're both not looking at?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back