Stelber build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ralph here, I used a sand blaster with aluminum oxide grit I got from harbor freight. Heres some before and after pics. Used Rustolium cobalt metallic blue, chrome, and grey sand-able primer. Dropped an ad for the brand. Having trouble with two things, the coaster brakes, and the spokes need tightening because the wheels rub the frame in front and back. The sand blaster saved a lot of time but get a dust mask, safety glasses and a tyvek hood suit to keep the grit off you. This is my first attempt at restoration of a classic bike. Stelber was a UK brand of cheap bikes to export to the US. I want to get an old shwinn, and do a good restoration job on a bike that will make a beach cruiser. Sorry I didn’t take more through the process pics but it was way hot last week and was in a hurry. Thought it turned ok pretty good, but i still need new pedals, a seat cover and grips. The pedal shaft is unique as it has a “trap door” that unbolts to drop the shaft and bearings assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4156.jpeg
    IMG_4156.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4153.jpeg
    IMG_4153.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Stelber had a bottom cap that bolts to the frame that contains the pedal shaft and the two bearing assemblies on either side of the frame. Only thing I can think of for installing the pedal this way as its a mass production time saver. Drop in the bearings and shaft assembly then insert the cap and the two bolts tighten and you’re done, versus feeding the pedal shaft through the hole in the frame then the bearings, then the retaining rings.

Stelber is not a UK brand. Its Stellar & Berkowitz, 2 guys who had a chain of department stores on the USA east coast. They started their own factory to make 1 speed adult & kids bikes. Their 3 speed bikes were imported from England and branded as Stelber.

Back