Springer fork or no springer fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a new Schwinn SSX Blackout cruiser to trick out. I am considering adding a springer fork. I've never ridden a cruiser with a springer fork. I am curious to hear your opinions about how these bikes with 26" balloon tires ride with springer forks. Does it bounce? Is it unstable at high speeds? Please give me the low down.

The only thing I have found out is not all cheap springers are created equal. I bought two ,one was $26 and the other was $39. My lbs guy pointed out he had one for $49 and it had the bushings inside the two big tubes. You could tighten his and nothing happened ,but it got tight . On the two i had if you tighten the big bolt running through the bottom of the big tubes it just kept smashing the tubes together. Mine had alot of slack because the bolt running through the bottom was smaller than the tube it ran through. I drilled them out and put a bigger bolt ,with alot closer tolerance in there and solved the problem,but other than that they work fine. :wink:

Nice! I have read a lot about getting what you pay for with springers.
I only weigh 150lbs so the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Do they really make a difference in the comfort of the ride?

I have a springer 26 x 3'' tires and a realy springy seat and its like riding on a marshmellow. I weigh 260 :roll:

i personally dont like springers unless they are old ones. the new ones are for the most part too springy for me then again i am really light. if you can find it i know there is an all blacked out springer avalible that would look nice

i say always go w/ the springer if ya can, more comfy and they look cool. something to think about when considering suspension...suspension making a ride comfy is a bi-product if its main functions. suspension is to keep your tire in contact w/ the road despite what the frame is doing. suspension was also developed to reduce stress to frame structure allowing frames to be built w/ less matarial and thus they were lighter and less expensive to make. you steer the bike at the front and much control of the bike happens at the handlebars, thats why front suspension is common. being sprung for comfort on a cruiser would be to have rear suspension. just some food for thought.
fast eddie outty

Back