slow progress and newbie frustration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My first build...ever.

it's a 59'-64's Firestone 500 or Rollfast. Both are made by Snyder before the company fell apart. The Rollfast Cruiser and the Firestone 500 are the same bicycle, but different badging was used for either bike. While the frame is consistent with both distributers (Firestone and Rollfast), the front forks are more common to the Firestone 500. To say your bicycle is a 59' would be a stretch based on the profile of the handlebars. The bars are more constistent with early 60's 500 models. There are very few of these bicycles around today. It looks like yours will be a rarity. Good Luck!

Misterplanet said:
it's a 59'-64's Firestone 500 or Rollfast. Both are made by Snyder before the company fell apart. The Rollfast Cruiser and the Firestone 500 are the same bicycle, but different badging was used for either bike. While the frame is consistent with both distributers (Firestone and Rollfast), the front forks are more common to the Firestone 500. To say your bicycle is a 59' would be a stretch based on the profile of the handlebars. The bars are more constistent with early 60's 500 models. There are very few of these bicycles around today. It looks like yours will be a rarity. Good Luck!
I learn something new every day...the project is to make it somewhere between classic restored and rat rod. I'm pumped. Painting it this afternoon.

pictures coming soon....update on this, my first build:

first off, it's tough building a bike on a 3'x5' apartment patio without a complete tool set or vise or stand. haha...

regardless,
Bike is ready for logo to be added and then clear coated.
wheels are primed for paint.
fixed the hub assembly, crankset and bottom bracket

to do: try to get the handlebars, stem, chain ring and cranks polished to a decent patina; need a good saddle, but can't afford a used Brooks, but need something; clean up the seatpost on the grinder wheel at work, then paint; prime and paint the sweet rear rack I got on here froma fellow rat rodder; purchase a new wicker basket for my lady, as this is a wedding present for her; get some rad grips and get this baby together and rolling!

I never posted a before shot, so here's some so-so ones with my bride-to-be, shortly before we met....

beforeclear.jpg

beforebackground.jpg

Let's see...thing I have learned on my first build so far.

Recovering a seat in marine vinyl is nearly impossible (unless you sew, which I have yet to learn).
Painting takes so much time, especially if you are doing it on an apartment balcony.
The little details add up.
I need a parts bin so future build are so expensive.

I need to take photos but the fiance is gone with the camera a lot.

MY BUILD IS MESSED UP!

So,

Here's a good question: what do you clean parts in? I soaked my bottom bracket in a cleaner that I thought was water based...and it seems to have ruined (discolored and roughed the surface) of all the parts. Now I need a new bottom bracket assembly and the bike has to be DONE by next Friday (wedding photo shoot).

I'm mad at myself and freaking out on what to do! I am SUCH a rookie. :?

Re: MY BUILD IS MESSED UP!

BoLiles said:
So,

Here's a good question: what do you clean parts in? I soaked my bottom bracket in a cleaner that I thought was water based...and it seems to have ruined (discolored and roughed the surface) of all the parts. Now I need a new bottom bracket assembly and the bike has to be DONE by next Friday (wedding photo shoot).

I'm mad at myself and freaking out on what to do! I am SUCH a rookie. :?
Old school style is to soak it in kerosene, although wd-40 does a pretty good job. As for being a rookie. Don't sweat it. Mistakes are how you learn. 8)

Back