Single Speed Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off with this

12102009750.jpg

Lots of gears

12102009751.jpg

Replaced Gear Cluster with a single speed cog, removed granny rings and took out a few links

05012010843.jpg

MrG

Cool! Any closer pictures of all different angle of the rear hub? I'd really like to see the details of the conversion... fixed? Freewheel?

How about a post on the conversion? Have been thinking the same thing myself but was not sure if it could be easily done.

Looks good, but we need some pics of the complete bike with the rack on it :wink:

g-ratter said:
How about a post on the conversion? Have been thinking the same thing myself but was not sure if it could be easily done.

Most mountain bikes you can take off the cluster and add a single cog and some spacers. On my bike I had fixed dropouts (so I couldnt adjust chain length) so I had to use a DMR chain tensioner which bolts onto the derailer hanger

Complete004.jpg

This pic shows how it looks with the single cog and spacers on the back
OlympicPark048.jpg

Basically if you have a freewheel gear cluster [has freewheel built into gears] then just replace cluster with bmx style single cog [I just happen to have a freewheel laying about]

Now a cassette type gear cluster the freewheel is built into the wheel hub and in that case you need a cog and spacer set as shown above

The wheel and chainring are not quite in line on my bike so will need tweaking a little

I also changed axle on my wheel for a shorter one.

Getting chainring and rear freewheel to align correctly is an issue, had to put a spacer on axle to get clearance with frame...

06012010844.jpg

Not sure ir a chain guide [tensioner] would help

MrG

Removing gear cluster does cause a problem in aligning freewheel and chainring... I took out spacer from axle and frame pulls in tyre has clearance issue.

Adding a wheel nut too axle helps but again getting a true chain run is a problem.

May need a chainring set up for single speed or dishing read wheel...

MrG

Back