Show us your damage! You lived? Do tell! (Inspired by my morning mishap)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35233

Deactivated account
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hear the tales and show off our scars. We all love a good war story. (Happy 4th)

I took a dive through some fallen berries and morning dew today. As I was veering right my rear wheel caught a groove on the right side of this road patch which is slightly lower than the road in places, so the slick tar edges were curved up rather than down as one might expect. Luckily I was just starting up an incline so the slide wasn't far. Stepping away to regroup I took a breath and had to laugh, so I took some flicks to remind myself to be cautious when wet.
berry_skidmarks.jpeg

I walked away unbruised but for my pride and possibly wallet. I mean.. I didn't try to match my sneakers to my underwear but some mom somewhere must be proud that I was ready to impress with the EMS. 🩳 And I'm all red, white and blue!
damages0.jpeg

damages1.jpeg

Lost some metal, forced it back on and rode home.. sitting down.. slowly. :21:
damages2.jpeg

But the worst part for me is I've bent my handlebars. I wouldn't think such a small angular change could make so much difference but it does.
damages3.jpeg

Lets see your flub-ups and mangled parts from days gone by or earlier today! I'm gonna go dig through my 80s flicks for broken bones, stitches and of course the bikes attached to the stories!

Last edited:
I have a few vintage mountain bikes. I have acquired frequent flyer miles from trips over the bars. From flying head first down a stair set with the bike between my legs, to random, no reason flip outs on the bike path, I've done it all!
I also have a BMX with those steel pins in the pedals, and a perfect matching set of scars in my shins.
It has been a while since I went down hard, either I'm getting better, or I'm overdue...

I have not come off a bicycle unexpectedly in over thirty years, so unfortunately no digital pictures.

I was riding my restored Schwinn Varsity in Fresno, when the front tire went into a crack in the asphalt exactly the same width.

It grabbed the tire like a vise and I went right over the handlebars. I wasn’t injured but I was embarrassed because I was riding with the wife and kids and everybody saw it.

Fortunately, because I was riding with the wife and kids, I wasn’t going very fast when it happened; and I survived with just minor bruises and scrapes.

Latest posts

Back