school bike club!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may or may not know I am now running a custom bike club at my sons elementry school. There are 5 students for now and It has been two months and lots of fun!

many of the students have visited the site for insperation so keep up the work guys . They all have some real favs.

here are a few of the bikes...some of which you have seen already

the first is the camo bike
IMG_2766.jpg

this one belongs to the teacher
IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

This one has a RatRod theme to it! the student wanted that old 40 ford flat black fade out flame paint job
sorry the frame is upside down for it was just painted when the shot was taken

this paint job we used as a demo

IMG_0104.jpg

so-far so-good! It has been lots of fun doing this! next week we will start putting the bikes back together . I will try and keep you all posted!

FW

The club meets every Monday at the school during school hours for 1/2 hour. I do have and try to fallow lesson plans that I have made, and I try and stick to them so that way the kids keep moving and stay interested.......which is important!!!

as for paint I had the kids take them home and have thier parents help them with this task. For the students who could not get this done I did it for them ....IE the camo bike, and the teachers bike. However I still had the student prep the bike for me. The HotRod bike we were able to find a place at the school were we can spray paint so we made it a demo on painting and safety :mrgreen: Firemarshal Bill lolol

there is no real deadline..... the club and teachers are just happy that they have this. But the main task is to keep everybody together in the build, that way well all get to go for a ride together in the end.

The kids are talking BBO now and one of the students who is 9 is aready working on a music video lololol

FW

I'm a teacher in an elementary school (actually I'm the librarian, you have my permission to laugh at the thought of a short pudgy 38-year-old guy with his hair in a bun wearing horn-rimmed glasses going SHHHHHHHHHHHH!--but I digress...) and I just asked the principal about something like this a day or two ago. Actually, I asked about something a little different, but it built up to this... I had heard talk in the teacher's lounge about the fact that there's no bike rack at the school because the kids aren't allowed to ride their bikes to school. When I mentioned it, he told me that because the building is so overcrowded and there is so much traffic in this over-capacity bus loop with buses and parents dropping off kids and so forth, it was deemed unsafe to have kids zooming around on bikes. I told him I was thinking about an after-school bike club or something like that and let it drop. Then, when I thought about it, what they do is keep the kids who walk or get picked up in the building until the buses have left, so why can't they do the same with bike riders? The good news is that they are in the process of building a brand-new HUGE building to replace this one, and it is scheduled to open for September 2008. I'm thinking that maybe once we're not in such an overcrowded situation, I can bring it up again and see if we can get a bike rack and go from there...

Glad to hear yours is successful, Firewalker... is it ok if I try to pick your brain on this next year if I can get it to go anywhere?

thanks--

--rick

No problem Rick I would love to help you out.....

If we get more schools online and use this forum as a platform for the kids to build and show off thier rides like we do than there are that many more kids building bikes than on on the sofa.

that is what this place ia all about!! :mrgreen:

you know how i stand about kids but thought i'd drop in and say...... you rock brother!!! if we only had people showing us what they know when i was a kid i well......... i prolly be in jail but man i would know alot.... :mrgreen: :roll:

FW hats off to you
102307_1904_HatsOff1.jpg

we are now nearing the end to the first group. The school bike club has been a real success. All who are involved are happy with the outcome and there is alot of talk of making it a full on class next year along with support through grants for a class room, bike stands and tools :shock: :shock:

man this has gotten big all by it's self.....

here are a few of the bikes that are almost done!

here is the teachers bike "The Hawaii cruiser"

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

my son's bike "WildCat"

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

another students "Fade out" Hot Rod banana....

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

there are two more outstanding bikes that I will show soon. The school is planning to present the bikes at the next school assm....wow the presure is on :mrgreen:

FW

i would love to have had that "fade" bike as a kid !!!
i like the white tire choice too

how old are these bike mechanics if i may ask ???
( just wantin grade my own skill level :mrgreen: )

I teach 7th grade s.s. but I have procured a key to the shop room. I'll post an updated pic of the 50's j.c. higgins. the kids helping me gave the nix to the ape hangers in favor of straight handlebars. I'd love to put a pic of the kids with the bike but I can't for privacy law reasons. the kids are starting to bug their grandparents for old bikes or are ready to hit the garage sales this spring. There is also talk of a ratbike/skateboard/garage band freeforall. the principal was a little speechless at that suggestion. It has been a great way to get the kids to relate to their teachers in a new way. the shop teacher and I have risen to a new level of cool and it make behavior in class very different. some of the old fart teachers kind of roll their eyes but that's too bad because they don't recognize that it's more than just bikes.

Thank you. This a great constructive use of their time and teaching them a work ethic/skills for the long run. The Fade Out bike is cool.

Wow. What can I do to help? Great idea, great follow through. Way to go.
** KUDO'S to the site for staying CLEAN enough for a 9 or 10 year old.**

Great going Firewalker!!! The results pictured are evidence that time and effort applied to directing young people in an environment like that is a win-win for all!!! :D :D

Great work Murray, the bikes look great (I somehow for some unknown reason particularly love the teacher's bike) and you are doing a great service to those kids. Who knows, you might be influencing the next great engineer. Hats off to you bro. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back