Ross Apollo 3 Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up off eBay this evening. I haven't seen it other than these picks, but I only paid $27 + the gas money to pick it up. So I don't think I'm doing too bad.
apollo1.jpg

apollo2.jpg

Apollo3.jpg

i found one a while back but the only thing i could save was the brown hunte/wilde grips :( i love the looks of those frames

FaceOFFbikes said:
Was that the one advertized as a schwinn? lol

Yep! It's the one. I don't know if that's why there was little interest or if there is generally little interest in Ross muscle bikes. I'm hoping it will clean up well and at least be a cool little rider.

Well I think the "bike gods" were on your side on this one. That's an easy 100 to 150 dollar bike as-is..clean it up and ride it with a Le tigre polo and some Lee jeans..

Anyone have any idea what year it might be? I'm thinking post-1974 due to the fact that it has a thumb shifter and not a console shifter.

I got the Apollo home yesterday. I haven't had a chance to really do a lot to it yet. I will be tearing it apart and polishing it the best that I can. The sissybar looks a little too rusty to bring back, but I will give it a shot. I wish the original tires weren't trashed. The reflective strips on them are too cool.
DSC02695.jpg

A close-up of a little spot I used Never-Dull on.
DSC02698.jpg

After much polishing, this is where I'm at with this one. I'm awaiting a sissybar and two new reflector stripe tires. It's not perfect, but a good example a rider.

PB190126.jpg

You Did wonders my friend.. How did you clean the frame? and how did you get the rust off the paint? (and yes we see you didn't finish the chainring.. hand got tired? lol just joking)

Oh, I finished the chainring. At first I didn't know what you were talking about! I'm standing on a tan throw rug on the floor. It's reflecting on it toward the bottom. As far as removing the rust from the paint, I didn't "remove" the rust but just polished it down. If you look at the bike in person it's very shiny but there are dark spots in the finish. That's where the rust is/was. I used polished compound and my arm muscles to get it where it is.

Here's a couple of more pics. The first will hopefully give you an idea of what the paint looks like after I polished it...even with the rust. You can kinda see the dark spots that we once raised rust.
PB200130.jpg

I also got my brake and shifter cables fastened down last night. You can also see where even though the rust is gone on the back wheel the chrome is as well on the side towards the floor. The rust has just eaten it all away.

PB200134.jpg

Back