Repro Black Phantom, your views?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, the Ltd edition Schwinn Centenary manufactured in 96(ish). As far as I know it's the only one in the UK as it was 'sent in error' to Schwinn UK. I purchased it from the head honcho of Schwinn UK (around the time of the buyout of Schwinn/GT by Pacific) at a ridiculously low price. Anyway I love the thing, Ive done some very mild rodding, removed the fenders, installed a Profile Imperial chain-ring, a pair of Dyno flame tires and dyed the seat black. I just wondered what yousguys thought of this bike. I know that Schwinn marketed it as 'a collectible' and that it retailed for $3000 (jeeez!) it's just that I've never seen another. Did they all disappear into storage? Is mine the only one that gets ridden?

Around the same time I bought my Uncle a Harley Davidson Veloglide, he's into bikes and motorbikes, did these all disappear too? Are all these fine bicycles hanging on garage walls and never see the light of day?

I've always heard good things about them, they were supposedly a well-built frame and tried to be true to form.

Ive seen plenty of pics of both bikes, but as you say, there because someone has them as a collector bike and probly only get taken out for parade duty or short rides. IMO the price on these bikes when new is what kept them so treasured, theres plenty of other cool lookin less costly bikes i would rather take out for normal abuse. And if someone is runnin around usin em as a bike should be used, theyre probly unaware theyre collectable and worth $$$ to the right person or just dont care :mrgreen:

My feeling is that a bicycle is only truly complete when it's rolling. There's plenty of evidence on this great site of bikes surviving 50 or more years of use. I can't imagine not riding it. But then if I had paid full retail for it I'm sure I might feel different!!

This reminds me of the debate in the historic race car world, do you let these beautiful machines die a slow death in a museum or do you actually get out there and use them for what they were built for? I know what I choose.

Getting a camera soon, I'll post some pictures of it.

Seems like the Centennials when they come up on ebay usually go for $1200-1500, far less than MSRP. The Harley bikes go for about half also, see those come up more on Craigslist for some reason, got one local for $997 although he's willing to do a cash/trade for a Schwinn, he's been trying to sell that thing for about 6 months now.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/667127818.html

there were two special bikes done. the phantoms which were made in so cal ca and are really nice. they are about as close as you can get with out buying an original and if you were not a collector could fool you. the other was a special china made bike that was cool too they are cream and metalic burgendy. as for the phantom if i could find one cheap i would get it but i would not walk around saying it is a real phantom it is still a repop although a very good one.

You Dyed the seat black?! that seat is about 2 to 250 bucks.. lol anyway I see them now and then.. My LBS had a mint out of the box one for 1600..It sold that day..lol

FaceOFFbikes said:
You Dyed the seat black?! that seat is about 2 to 250 bucks.. lol

Yup! It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to do it bcoz there's no going back from black. I don't do brown!

Back