Removing trike wheels???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm beginning to tinker a bit with a trike I picked up yesterday. I've never worked on one of thses....and I'm curious as to how I should remove these rear wheels. The don't have nuts....and look like they have some sort of pin running thru the center of the hub........do I just drive this pin thru?

shootin in the dark......... post pics mine has bolts holding rims on and bolts that let the whole rear axle come off. so if yours don't have them and you see a set pin then i'll bet thats it. post some pics i wanna see anyways......

Man, I'm sorry.......I usually get busy and forget to take pics.....

I just shot a few pics this morning. This trike says it's made in the USA. It's a "Desoto Classic" ....made by "Trailmaster"? It was complete except for the missing bottom bracket,front wheel, and rear tires.

someone tried to turn this thing into an electric trike...and went to the trouble of welding a motor on top of the bottom bracket......that will certainly be removed.

The frame is SUPER beefy......for $20 I think I got a .... good deal 8)

Here are the pics:

Trikepics001.jpg

Trikepics003.jpg

Trikepics004.jpg

Trikepics002.jpg

ok that helps yes it looks like you'll have to knock that pin out to get the hub off the axle. the two by the chain should have a hex screw to get the cog off and the axle will come out of it. lube it up and use some heat if you gunna pull it apart.

was wondering why your going to take rims off???????

Upper Class White Trash said:
was wondering why your going to take rims off???????
\

I plan to remove the rims to paint the rims......and also to fully rebuild the bike with fresh lube, and clean it up.....and I also plan to repaint the frame and do some other work to it.

I'd REALLY love to find some 20" wheels for the back of this trike......but I doubt that's gonna happen..... :cry:

Thanks for your help :D

it is a newer trike it should have sealed bearings so no lube needed as for rims sun bikes offers a 20" wheel that should go right on or you can do as me and respoke them to 20's. worst part of the whole spoking down to a 20 was finding the right spokes.. found that 194mm/7 5/8" spokes worked for me. also check bicycledesigner.com they offer a wheel with lotsa spokes for a 1" axle

here is a before and after i respoked the wheels

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#13224

SWEET trike....that's kinda the same thing I have in mind. I definately want the 3" rear white walls. I'd like to cut the front headtube and give mine some more rake.

As for relacing wheels.....I know before I start that I don't have the patience for that....lol.

It looks like my trike might end up sitting lower than yours......especially if I can get 20" wheels for it..... I might try to put a shorter tripple tree on it.....

Thanks for your advice and help 8)

if you try to re spoke them trick is to have a wheel of the same thing your tring to do so you can look at it. then after that it's not that hard. as a matter of fact i'm doing mine later because i was screwing around and got it up on two wheels and smoked like 5 or 6 spokes on one side.

as for helping anytime bro.. there are not many of us on here with trikes so thought i would jump in and see if i could help.

Upper Class White Trash said:
there are not many of us on here with trikes so thought i would jump in and see if i could help.

Yeah, I know....Trikes are more of a novelty I suppose.....I'd been wanting one for years and years. finally found one for the right price...lol

Back