removing the gear from an elgin hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got a clue as to how to get the gear/sprocket off of a Elgin rear hub? It looks like there is a ring that screws on and holds it on ,but when you take it off nothing happens and you eventually loose the ring. Is the gear screwed on too ,or pressed on ,or what . Hoping someone has a clue. Also can you just swap the two gears and make it a skiptooth or is something else involved? help!

Pics might help, is it truly an Elgin hub? Or just on an Elgin bike. LMK :wink:

On the side it says elgin where others say new departure or bendix. I have two . one is a skiptooth and the other is a regular . I laced the regular to some painted rims and red painted spokes. Decided I wanted them to be the skiptooth one instead. Used a morrow set on the newer elgin. Will take a pic tomorrow. I may can swap the insides with the skiptooth if I cant get just the sprocket off.

I believe that all the Elgin hubs I have run across have been built by Musselman because all the parts interchange. And yes, I believe the cog is threaded to the driver as well as the locking collar. They can really be a bear to remove. I usually just find another driver with the cog on it I want and replace the whole unit.

Thats what i figured. Seems like i just pulled the insides out when i relaced the wheel and then stuck it back together when i was through ,so ill probably just pull the inside out of the skiptooth and change it . Thanks crassly...and everybody. :wink:

I managed to remove 2 cogs last night by clamping the bell shaped part in the vice (carefully) and hitting the cog with some heat (MAP gas). I then stuck a long piece of metal into the slot on the cog and it came lose with a little bit of effort. The second one I heated up longer and I swear if it wasn't for the heat you could have taken it off with you hand. Just be careful not to damage the bell shaped thingy with the vice!

Back