Rathorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by a scrapyard I have been eyeing up for a few weeks yesterday and found this there.. 10 bucks took it home. I'm thinking the badge says Hiawatha but I'm not positive, it's been painted over numerous times. Any help with an I'd would be great.. And year possibilities would also be sweet. Tomorrow I will start disassembly and look for serial number. the pics are a little dark but y'all get the idea. The bendix hub Is still smooth as butter with what I imagine is the orriginal grease.
adac62f1.jpg

ff6d2aca.jpg

This is nothing a welder won't fix in a jiffy!
aebc63b3.jpg

Re: Hiawatha I believe?

It's a hawthorne, made by Snyder, 1959-69. The chainguard is an AMF Roadmaster/Shelby part though. Fine score for ten bones! -Adam

Definitely is a Hawthorne. Got it all soaked in pb blaster last night amd everything is still smooth! I'm going to re lace the wheels add some tires and ride this beast.. I like the rust on this one!

Picture with the bars flipped, to paint or not to paint? What do ya think? I was contemplating a flat od green maybe with brown or black rims? Or the other thought.. Give it a light sanding, wipe down and clear coat over rust and all? Input please.
3b60cd2a.jpg

It's wrapped up for now.. I swapped out handlebars with a more narrow set. Dont know if they will stay on or go back with orriginal bars. Rides nice for sure.. Funny how a 50 sum year old bike is rideable after a spray down with pb blaster and a good re-grease. The rims will need to be trued and seat needs to be replaced but it rides pretty sweet as is.
fbacef99.jpg

2e76dc1d.jpg

b6ed7f12.jpg

3d834923.jpg

I'm thinking on going all raw with this bike. Maybe.. There are a bunch of ideas floating around.. Got some pretty good looks today cruising around haha. One guy was like look at that cool old bike haha.

Rathorne got a face-lift and now looks like this. A donar bike landed me everything but the frame. Turned out pretty smooth I think. A few winter pics. First ride and it was fun in the snow!
e607f917.jpg

d2d293db.jpg

1910e048.jpg

Back