rat rods for middle school kids....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have joined the activities committee at my 7th grade son's school and id like to suggest to them some bicycle related activities. i was thinking about offering to do a few workshops on bicycle repair (in specific brake cuz thats what theyre always riding without it seems,) maybe some low budget customisation projects, that kind of thing. maybe even suggest to the committee starting a bicycle club at the school. any suggestions? thanx, fast eddie outty

Eddy... that's a great idea!!! Anything to get kids away from passive entertainment and into active entertainment is a great idea!!! Adults too for that matter!!! It is amazing how many teenagers today have never ridden anything larger than a playschooler. Most schools around here don't allow students to ride bikes to school??? Stressing bike safety to kids without overloading them on the danger is the key. Make it simple and fun, give them incentive to get out and ride in a safe environment. Financial considerations among the kids might be a problem in some areas. Bike helmets, cheap workgloves or cycle gloves and long pants with full coverage shoes should be mandatory for all riders in school sponsored activities. Persons that don't ride bikes much tend to fall off sometimes!!! Encourage the whole family to participate. I know you can make it happen Bro !!! Thanks!!!

I like the idea a lot.

What about stockpiling bikes and having the kids strip them down and organizing the parts. Once a good inventory is on hand staart mixing and matching parts to build something different.

I think teaching them how to clean, repack and adjust bearings in hubs, headsets and BB's is key to any project. Chain breaking and repair also a neccessity. Start small and try to keep the whole group on the same pace as much as possible, but don't let the whiz kids get bored.

I would like to get involved in something similar, it seems like a very valuble community investment.

Good work Eddie.

I was asked by my son's school to do just that! we have students from grade 4 to 7

We are now in week 4 and each kid has a bike that they would like to build and do a custome job to.

We started with with bike parts and how they work...we are now into the design work. Then on to the tare down. :D it has been great and this site has been looked upon many times by the students for info and design ideas.

so keep the ideas rollin in :mrgreen:

You guys are so valuable to your communities for thinking of this! I hope that it takes off!
When I was in middle school, it offered an after school bicycle club. It was a brand new school and they were state funded to try many new concepts. They offered several after hour school clubs and the bike club one one of many. Most of the kids were interested but the school was located on the edge of the rural community. Most of us were bussed to the school so taking your bike was out of the question. If they would have had the forsight to actually teach safety and repair, alot of us could have at least participated in that part.
In high school I built a two wheel drive bike in metal shop outta old parts. After it was finished, the teacher said that I really didn't do anything constructive and gave me an "F". Several other teachers and the Principal saw differently and after riding the bike, the shopteacher was "encouraged" to change my grade.

I would've given anything to have you guys in my corner during the early years! If you guys get this rollin", the kids will benefit in more ways than just the biking scene!
For info and help with getting going check out the Rails to Trails programs and maybe the kids can even help with building trails and riding paths for bikes! Get the local clubs to come in and show what types of riding there are and also how the bikes differ.

I could go on and on cause you guys have got me stoked! :p Great thing and Great people! I love this board and it's members!
Rock on!

Do a Google search of Bicycle Co-Op's They are pretty cool organizations that gather old bikes, teach kids and adults to fix them, allow them to earn a bike by volunteering, give bikes to the needy, sell bikes to average people for some operating $$, organize clubs, rides, show, and more. Maybe one of your groups could grow into one of these. Make it a non-profit, pay yourself a salary and do what you love for a living. :D

Aaron

Chainsaw said:
In high school I built a two wheel drive bike in metal shop outta old parts. After it was finished, the teacher said that I really didn't do anything constructive and gave me an "F". Several other teachers and the Principal saw differently and after riding the bike, the shopteacher was "encouraged" to change my grade.

Chainsaw, If that clueless teacher could see you now!!! Still got the 2wd beast?
Great idea Fast Eddie, there are more & more people who think like you popping up all over the place & everyone is the better for it. Everyone should have a bike & be able to fix it, regardless of age, income, etc. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a dad to show them the ropes, or chains, as the case may be. Keep on keepin' on!

ill be pitching the idea to the activity committee next week, i chatted w/ the principle about it so that my proposal would already fit inside the rules, even if the committee doesnt want to commit time to a bicycle club, i can do it anyway, just seemed a good idea to go through the "proper channels" first y'know? when i get a chance ill post my proposal here in case it could come in handy for someone else sometime
fast eddie outty

ok, ive pitched the idea of a bicycle club at my son's middle school for the 08-09 school year to the principle, the family coordinator, the activities committee and last night at another pta meeting in gave my written proposal to the family coordinator and we can start finalizing and promoting. the family coordinator and the pta members had the "deer in the headlights" look when they asked how many volunteers i needed and what kind of funding i needed. my answer was 'none, ill take care of it.' i begin promoting the club at the next family movie night at the end of this month so ill make some lil flyers and set up my shiney lowrider in the lobby of the school, should be fun!
fast eddie outty

Quite a few years ago, I along with a couple of buddies, one that moved onto custom car building, and has been featured in Hot Rod Magazine, started a bicycle club for kids, we asked the community for donated bikes, and got quite a bit of them. We called it the Frankenstein Bike club, and those kids, and us built some crazy looking bikes. Mostly functional. Most of them were kids that were on the poor side, and was picked on by the bratty rich kids. When we started pumping out those spray canned Frankenbikes, they were the envied ones. Little did I know that back then we were making "Rat Rod Bikes". We all ended up moving on, and went to college etc. I have been really thinking about it again. You would be amazed at what you can come up with for free, just by asking. A great place to start is http://www.freecycle.org You can find groups in your erea, and just simply ask if anyone has any un-needed bike parts laying around.

Latest posts

Back