Rail Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've already spent more on this than my 2 previous build off bikes, almost 70 bucks. I'll try to hold it there, not one more penny.
6y1kls.jpg

This bike reminds me of the old rail dragsters.
hx8cbb.jpg

But I want to do something like a cycle truck. I plan on actually being seen in public with this bike and I need to haul stuff around.

I will be sitting back and watching this build. Ive really got back into 20" lately and would love to see what you do with this one.

That thing just screams "Altered Roadster" to me - so high and spindly up front, and low and fat in the rear - like it's in mid-launch off the line.

While looking for photos of racks on these bikes, I came across this, an even rarer form of this bike:

qpjvd3.jpg

Cool bike!
I know the '70s were the 'let it be' era, but what marketing genius thought that producing a bike called the 'Wing Ding' was a good idea? The 'Mustang', yep I get it pony car=pony bike, but unless the target market was Buffalo NY........I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' :mrgreen:

I rode this exact bike, one of my favorite :wink: Good luck on the build :D

Wildcat said:
While looking for photos of racks on these bikes, I came across this, an even rarer form of this bike:

qpjvd3.jpg

I was going to go oversize on the rear, but it didn't look right with the frame extensions. It didn't keep the flow of the bike going, so it'll have to be a 20" rear wheel. The fattest tire I have is a 2.35 knobby. A 3" slick would be perfect. Anyone know where I can get a 20x 3 slick? Or a narrower one?

k1bgix.jpg

You need a tire from a WCC Jesse James Chopper. Those are 20x3 street treads. I've seen the bikes for sale or parts pretty cheap at times.

--Rob

Wildcat said:
I was going to go oversize on the rear, but it didn't look right with the frame extensions. It didn't keep the flow of the bike going, so it'll have to be a 20" rear wheel. The fattest tire I have is a 2.35 knobby. A 3" slick would be perfect. Anyone know where I can get a 20x 3 slick? Or a narrower one?

k1bgix.jpg

The knobby will have to do, I'm keeping the cost at a minimum.

I got these apes in the Philippines last year, but they are too thin, the metal crushes in the stem and they never get tight enough to use. I thought they seemed very light for steel, but they were only 3 bucks. In keeping with the old dragster theme, they will get made into exhaust pipes.

2h8251f.jpg

A little progress. Landscapers cut off my painting tree branch, but I made do. Trimmed the pipes a little.

24xgpkm.jpg

2qsugjs.jpg

That spray paint was supposed to be flat black, but it turned out glossy! It'll have to do, I'm not spending a dime more if I can help it.

Exhaust pipes didn't look right, so I tried them as manifold pipes, like headers that the old JC Higgins had on their tanks. It still didn't look right. So no pipes, they took away from the long lines of the frame anyway. So it's done, but it's so humid outside, the camera keeps fogging up and the flash pics aren't that good, so I'll post it up tomorrow morning in the finished section. It should be a good morning to go for a ride.

1622ucl.jpg

Back