Prewar Track Bomber Jalopy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bike show tomorrow is canceled due to rain - might as well show it here...
This is a '39 or '41 Westfield.
sm_westfield_0.jpg

I was gonna paint this all up but it has such fine patina I couldn't bear to sand it off!
sm_westfield_1.jpg

ChoppersUS $50 fork (a bargain!), Kenda Kraze 24x3 F/R, Electra 24" alloy wheels + old crap I had lying around...
sm_westfield_2.jpg

Found a cool old stem and converted the threadless to headless...
sm_westfield_3.jpg

Cut down a one-piece crank to make a new seatpost - those old bikes use a tiny 5/8" solid stem...
sm_westfield_4.jpg

It's low! First bike I've had that stands up by itself...
sm_westfield_5.jpg

Tires fit the bike with no modifications - amazing!
sm_westfield_6.jpg

The Kraze tires like to go straight...

ok,
erix

very nice!

I really like this build! Of course it follows the script in the manner I like to build so I should like it. Great combo of new and old to make the bike ride nice and maintain some originality. Keep up the great work!

PS Maybe a light of some kind mounted b/t the fork tubes, 8)

never thought about the seat post idea how close of a fit is it? that is a really cool idea.

karfer67 said:
never thought about the seat post idea how close of a fit is it? that is a really cool idea.

Thanks for the kind words all!

In this case the hole for the seatpost is about .625"give or take .010"

The crank arm (a piece off a wall mart cruiser frame stamped "JT") is about .635" I had to do a little massaging on the arm end a a little in the inside of the frame where the middle tube is brazed into the seat tube.

It fits into the frame just past this brazed joint and, I'm ashamed to admit, was persuaded into place with the help of a little ball peen hammer. It's only in there about 2" but it's extremely rigid and I think all my weight on the moment arm of the crank will put the highest stress right at the seatbolt - where ALL the tubes come together. I think it'll hold as long as I don't do any down hill....

ok,
erix

thats kinda the thought i had about it i mean it is a crank so if you could get it to fit it would be much stronger than what was original. good idea i might have to use that one :D one thing i have learned about custom bikes is copying is the most sincer form of flattery. dont mind my spelling :oops:

Back