Penny Lane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

This is my first bike in a long, long time. I used to love finding bikes and fixing them up as a child, but haven't done it in years. I found this Murray Monterey at a community bike shop and picked her up for $60. I don't plan on going too crazy with this one. I need to get back in the swing of things first. I do have a pretty hardcore case of "perfectionism" though, so hopefully she will turn out before I go crazy..haha.

I only have a few pics so far and here they are:

Just got her home
bike_1.jpg

The break down
bike_2.jpg

Stripped down, mostly
bike_3.jpg

Here are some of the plans:
- Avocado Green paint (Yes, the same color as your Grandmother's fridge), and maybe some Cream accents
- Custom Badge & chain guard graphics
- Fender addition, I'm thinking rear only
- Brown leather seat and grips

I'm also looking at replacing most hardware on the bike, but that is where I'm running into my lack of knowledge. I was just going to buy some Elektra Cruiser replacement parts, but I'm not sure if they are even going to fit. Since it's a Murray, I'm not sure if I'm just going to have to piece the items from other random older bikes, or if there are any resources online to order the items I need.

So, I'm hoping to be a "Newb" for only a short time, so I don't continue to ask silly questions. If anyone has any advice on parts and the overall build they could pass on that would be great!

----------------
Josh

good start for a project! i think the paint sounds good, as long as its fresh guacamole, not that guacamole you found in the back of your fridge 6 months later. lol :lol: but i think apehandger handlebars would be great. maybe whitewall tires.

a good friend named saw-z-all and a better friend named welder can make just about anything fit. a lot of parts are universal, sometimes wheels are either to wide, or not wide enough though.no question is silly or stupid. if you dont know or want another opinion just ask . if you take measurments or have a bike shop measure your stuff.hould be able to tell you if what you want to order will fit.

So, it's been awhile, but I've made a ton of progress. I'm still waiting on a few shipments, seat, grips, etc. It's now together enough so I can enjoy it, so I'm good. There are a bunch more little things I have planned, summer time is going to be good. :)

Primed and ready for paint
bike_4.jpg

Base coat and masked for graphics
bike_5.jpg

Cream coat sprayed
bike_6.jpg

Quick dry run (I was so happy at this point)
bike_7.jpg

More shots:

Almost done
bike_8.jpg

Pinstripe closeup 1
bike_9.jpg

Pinstripe closeup 2
bike_10.jpg

Ride ready
bike_11.jpg

Seems like I must like the colour of my grandmother's fridge, because that paint came out great! :) It'll look good with a brown leather seat!!

I am getting ready to put together one of those Murrays for my brother in law since his birthday is coming up, and since he is the Pastor of our church it will be themed as such.....( wonder what kind of lubricating properities anointing oil has....hmmm)

Galtbacken said:
Seems like I must like the colour of my grandmother's fridge, because that paint came out great! :) It'll look good with a brown leather seat!!

That was my inspiration exactly and I completely agree about the brown leather seat. I placed an order for an Electra saddle but it seems they are all on back-order because of some customs issue in Singapore, or where ever they are produced..haha. I also have some brown leather grips on order but those are delayed too. I have a few more plans for her, so as long as I can ride in the mean time, it's not that big of a deal. :)

Back