painting chrome??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a black chrome frame that is too "boogered up" to leave the way it is. im about halfway through sanding it w/ 320 grit. the goal is to scratch it up just enough so that primer will stick to it. so far the areas ive sanded have fine scratches all over that are visible to the naked eye, but the frame is still very smooth to the touch. here's my question, is it scratched enough to be ready for primer?? or do i need some griter sand paper to make sure it feels scratched to the touch?
thanx, fast eddie outty

i usually use 100 grit for bare metal, i think 320 would be fine though. if your rattle canning id use rustoleum primer or krylon rust tough (something thats intended to prime unpainted surfaces). thats just what id do anyway, good luck :wink:

When painting chrome, after sanding and before primer I spray a thin coat of Adhesion Promoter. I use Bulldog brand, I belive it's easiest to find at auto parts store. Spray it on really thin so it doesnt run. A can will last a long time. :wink:

trike-1.jpg

I don't see why not , but as always read the directions good just in case . I would think as long as the adhesion product was dried throughly there would be no problem. You could always do a sample om an old piece of scrap chrome.(you know the other half of the fenders we have all chopped,etc) 8)

Back