Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys, THe low rider is sanded 2 bare metal, Now what, What primer do i use? What paint i never did a real paint job.. Im thinking a blue or green colorl.. I want alot of sparkle or gloss.. Idk

get a "self etching primer" to use on bare metal Rick, if your usin auto paint make sure to stay in the same brand (example.. Dupont paint-Dupont Primer), ive also used "krylon rust tough primer" on the bare metal on my lawnmower deck before and came out fine too. been 2 summers without anything crazy happenin.

ccr is right on with the self etching primer.. need more info what kind of paint spray bomb or the good stuff

let us know

I think what New_Dharma was trying to say buy this
http://tinyurl.com/2wqruc

29608.jpg

Figure I'd add a question to this one since it's paint related. I am considering painting my wheels (just the rims) either copper or brass and see that Krylon makes a few different types of metallic paint. Has anyone used these or tried these before? Anything to say about the finish/quality/look of these paints if they are at all close to real thing? I really want the brass, but I dont want some cheesy gold/brass look...Thanks friends

Brandon

Yeah, I think I like it. There is a dude at my school who has a black frame and some gold parts. It's anodized and looks nice except the Phil Wood hubs he has are a bit different gold than his Nitto bars and stem. It's a cool look, I dont think I would rock it. If it were antique brass looking, now that would be a different story. That gold is a bit too yellow for my tastes.

Thanks for showing me that! Take care.

ALSO: Because I live in Chicago proper...they dont allow spray paint sales at stores due to grafitti enforcement, so I really dont have a good source to buy rattle can goods. There is an ACE hardware near me that sells some due to the numerous amount of contractors needing contractor type paint so they carry a few, but like for specialty colors, forget it. I dont even know if they would carry self etching primer, which I will also need for my wheels.

Are there any good sources that you like besides the napa online store I can get spray paint?

brandonehansen said:
ALSO: Because I live in Chicago proper...they dont allow spray paint sales at stores due to grafitti enforcement,

Dang, if I were coming to the city anytime soon (we used to try to come once a month) I would smuggle you some from MI, but finances currently prevent that... :(

Yeah, Chicago is SUPER militant about paint sales, arent they?
Have you tried the pearl paint store (art supplies) on Chicago ave? its a stretch, but they may have a small supply of spray paint...

check in the yellow pages around you for automotive paint suppliers(ppg du pont, matrix, omni,etc.) any of the local paint reps will have self etching primer (in rattle can ) for sale(its gonna be alittle pricey thought, here its about 10-12$ a can) for other colors they might be able to mix what colors you want and put them in a rattle can(no idea for sure if they will or what the cost would be though) good luck!

tomb said:
brandonehansen said:
ALSO: Because I live in Chicago proper...they dont allow spray paint sales at stores due to grafitti enforcement,

Dang, if I were coming to the city anytime soon (we used to try to come once a month) I would smuggle you some from MI, but finances currently prevent that... :(

Yeah, Chicago is SUPER militant about paint sales, arent they?
Have you tried the pearl paint store (art supplies) on Chicago ave? its a stretch, but they may have a small supply of spray paint...

Hah! That's nearly right down the street from me! :D Good call, I will check there.

I'll be painting 4 wheels. Most likely will need a few coats of primer I'm assuming right? How many cans would you suggest? 1 per set or more? Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. Btw, I cant wait to have these wheels DONE! They will look nice, just have been a pain in the rear :)

CCR said:
have you gotta sherwin williams or m a b paints near by ??

Probably so, but I almost guarantee they dont sell alot of spray paints if any. Most normal stores do, but Chi-town does not permit aerosol paint sales in efforts to minimize grafitti. :/ I need to buy them online. I found that dickblick.com sells what I am looking for I just want to see if I can see a sample before I buy it.

Btw, what's M A B?

Does any manufacturer of spray paint make a light green say like mint green or a light greyish green?? Krylon I see sells a color called Celery, but I cant see them in person since they dont sell them in my city. Any help would be great. Thanks :mrgreen:

Wow aint look at this in a while, Thanks i Got like 30 bucks ill go check it out..

Back