Odd Schwinn Varsity?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikeriderx said:
deorman said:
Pretty typical '60's-early '70's light duty touring setup, regular off the rack dealer parts... As far as the light installation goes, what? It's installed correctly, except the dozen extra wraps up front looks pretty amateur to me.
Awwwww....And here I thought I had som'thing special! :( I put the handle bar stem back to the min insertion line after taking the pics...

Nope, but a darn great rider! Very comfy, very smooth, very fast. Here's my '73, with shorty fenders (now also has leather grips to match the Brooks saddle):

256.jpg

Hey guys, Nice looking varsity's

Just curious what brand tires you are using and where you are getting them for the varsity. I assume they are 27"? Are most 1 1/4 or can a person go to 1 3/8? Hammond I specifically noticed yours looking to be knobby and sort of a mountain bike type tire. I will be using on a rural bike trail which is crushed limestone and packed down so pretty firm but want something a little more off road than reg road tires. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
munch

Rustinkerer said:
If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna ship all my Schwinns to Steve for detailing!!!! :lol: ~Adam

I think I wore my fingers away on the Cruiser 5.

May take a month or two to recover. :lol:

munch1650 said:

Just curious what brand tires you are using and where you are getting them for the varsity. I assume they are 27"? Are most 1 1/4 or can a person go to 1 3/8? Hammond I specifically noticed yours looking to be knobby and sort of a mountain bike type tire. I will be using on a rural bike trail which is crushed limestone and packed down so pretty firm but want something a little more off road than reg road tires. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
munch
Hey, munch! Yea, my Varsity has 27 x 1 1/4" tires. I've not looked to see if a wider tire will fit. My guess is no. But it might...The Varsity has good rubber on it, so I haven't replaced 'em yet. I put a set of Bontrager Sport B "black walls" on my '73 Suburban (same size wheels) that I bought from my LBS. Do you happen to have another bike with 1 3/8" wheels/tires? Try and see if they fit...The rear tire is where I usually get hung up...Good luck!

I don't have any other tires to try. I do also have a Suburban but it has the same size tires but they are shot too. So when I find what I am looking for probablly buy two sets. 1 1/4 probably ok just want something with a little more aggressive tread for the bike trail and not too expensive.

Thanks
munch

munch1650 said:

Thanks
munch

Hey munch -
Mine are 27 x 1 3/8 Cheng Shin "C-763-2 Nylon" gumwalls. Kind of an aggressive "cross tread" pattern.
Unfortunately, they were on the bike when I got it, so I can't tell you where to snag them.
You might try somebody like " performancebike.com ", they carry a lot of stuff like that, and their house brand is pretty cheap, even with shipping.
Good luck -
Daniel

*edit: how about this one? tread looks right, and you can't beat the price! http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 3794737303

HA! That's the EXACT tread pattern on mine! Looks like the same casing was used, with that gumwall. Too funny.

Back