Nick's Popular name change: Nick's Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 year old nephew asked me to build my an English 3 spd similar to my '61 Raleigh Dyno-hub Sports. He was visiting from out of state and we couldn't get him off it! So here goes:

Fished this '61 Popular, a Raleigh off brand, out of a dumpster a while back.

P1011376.jpg

Stripped:

P1011576.jpg

Polished up nice. Can't wait to see it in the sun.

P1011584.jpg

Now I gotta find a dynohub, lights, and black front fender. I have most of the other parts.

Re: Nick's Popular

I think I might have a chrome tip to complete the deal :D I'll pm you a picture if I find anything after searching tomorrow morning.

Sounds good guys. Oh yeah,I need a black chain guard also. I'm waiting to hear on some wheels. Some progress, got the crank and forks on tonight. Looks nice.

Graylock said:
Nice job cleaning. I have a few English bikes myself. A little on the heavy side but a good ride. Those bikes will last a hundred years with care.

GL

That's okay Graylock, he plays football, offensive line, this will help with his strength training!

Re: Nick's (not so) Popular

Well I was informed Nick was hoping for something in a little better shape. No Problem! Instead of the popular I'll be using this '69 Raleigh frame.

P1011374.jpg

P1011655.jpg

Had a front fender from a dumpster find Colt. Also dug up a chainguard and fender. Everything is sanded waiting for me to spray some Omni MTK urethane. Traditional black with the white rear fender tip. I may also whiten the neck area where the head badge goes.

P1011673.jpg

I finally had a chance to paint. MTK urethane left over from my chopper.

P1011747.jpg

P1011748.jpg

P1011749.jpg

P1011751.jpg

The chopper.

Picture12-03-2266.jpg

I cleaned up the rear wheel. It's a Sturmey SC3 dated '77.

P1011752.jpg

P1011755.jpg

Dan Jose said:
Beautiful bike. Does anyone know how much the three spd coaster hub runs for? I have one and I just wanna price it.

Nuthin. You might as well send it to me! :lol: It depends on the year. The earlier the better. I'd guess between $10 and $30. I could be wrong.

Today I painted the lower rear fender white, bought some tires and hooked up the shifter. Took her for a ride. I like it.

P1011788.jpg

P1011789.jpg

P1011790-1.jpg

Stupid me painted a chainguard that isn't compatible with the brazed on mounts they used in 1969. I have one in the shed I have to pull out and paint. I also have to mount the headbadge, weld the cracked aluminum rack I have and wipe my greasy finger prints.

Back