Need a picture of a western flyer frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just received the highly coveted middleweight Western Flyer dual external tanklight yesterday.
This has to be the one middleweight tanklight that is just a great looking tank.
Because I do not have the correct frame for this tank, I need to see a picture of the forward securement or rest tabs that keep the tank from sliding down the backside of the head tube.
Also a pic of the rear mounting tab if one does exist.
Here is the tank I just got....and it is sweet. No decals left but, dent free....thanks Chris. Battery tray is a bit rough but, it is the deluxe tank with horn too. Dang I love this tanklight.
arepasar.jpg

qeva5y7a.jpg

And what it looks like mounted... this a beautiful example of a 59 Strato Flite. But they were also on the anniversary Golden Flyer....should have bought this one....sweet!!!
yvy8udem.jpg

I'm thinking this is the tab that is needed but, it is for a forward thrust style tanklight.
attachment.php

Here is the bike tanklight that the above tab is used or designed to secure the tank to the headtube,
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I have one of hose bugeye tanks as well. I have always heard that they are for Golden Flyers.

I have seen only one of the Strato Flyers I posted above.
Thought I had a catalog picture of the Strato Flyer from Western Auto published in 1958-59...but, can't find it.

But, here is the Golden Flyer Catalog ad.
attachment.php

But this 59 Strato Flyer (that I should have bought when I had the chance) has a matching original paint chainguard with the legend "Strato Flyer"...not very clear to read in this pic but, that's what it reads.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wait I see I posted the Murray 59 catalog Strato Flite on his CeeBee post...But, I thought there was a Strato Flyer with this tank. I just found a clearer picture of the 58-59 Strato Flyer and it's chainguard and it clearly indicates it's a Strato Flite...my bad

attachment.php

y4a7e4aj.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the only pic I could find that shows a partial view of the tank tab. Looks pretty much like the tab you show in your pic.

Yep, that's the frame alright. And to think I sold the only other one I had.
I might have to swap the Sabre Flyer tank for this gorgeous dual tanklight. Save the rare Sabre Flyer "owl eyes" tank for another frame to come along.

Someone should start a bug eyed tank light bike thread. I believe 1960 Fleetline is Murray's version of the Western Flyer Anniversary Golden Flyer (1958/59). I have never seen another one like mine but am sure there are more. The whole reason I bought this bike was because of the tank & the lights. I plan on keeping it original. Evidently there were several models that used this setup. I'd like to see them all!

Latest posts

Back