My ross apollo named creed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at clist and found a ross apollo 5 speed. I never had a muscle bike and originally thought for the $25 price tag I would flip it but its growing on me. Bike is almost totally original minus tires, pedals, kickstand.

PIC-0117.jpg

PIC-0119.jpg

PIC-0118.jpg

Only real issues the bike has is dry rotted tires, flat front tube, torn seat, paint chips, cables messed up and rear rim warped, and the tip of the dropout on the side is bent, nothing a bench vise cant fix. I have most parts to make this ridable but since Im starting to like this bike its getting re done.

List of for sures;
Replace or recover the seat.
New tires ww slick in rear and ww in front
fix crap, lol.
Re grease and oil things
Take the steal wool to it.

List of decisions;
Paint or patina
20" on front or 16"
Springer or stock fork
console shifter or stock 10speed style
New grips or not.

Not sure what it will turn into except for a fun project that will be fun to ride. Im naming this project creed, not for the crappy band but for apollo creed from rocky! Im hoping this bike will be a bruiser just like its namesake, lol.

i like the blue, but i like to paint too, top tube shifter would be very nice :D i would go with white grips if its getting some whitewalls, i like the fork its got and 20" front too. but its yours , just show us what you do with it :) maybe a red white and blue banana seat in honor of apollo creed :mrgreen:

I really wish I had it soon enough for the space build off. If it wasnt for the fact I wanna ride this thing so bad I would save it for another build.

Well I started pulling it apart. Back rim seen better days so I dropped it off at the lbs seeing as I dont do wheels. I plan on white grips no matter what, I just love white grips, my cruiser has them too.

All rust on chrome is coming off clean with only small pitting which is ok with me for now.

Picture below shows the only real bad damage other then seat, bent dropout but I have a bench vise that can fix that.
IMG_4708.jpg

I'm anxious to see how this bike turns out, not too mamny people have restored these on this site.

So what's your next project? An Iverson Drago? (yo adrienne!)

Anyway, i had to get a bad joke in there, seeing that this is my offcial post #1,000. You should be honored. :wink:

Cool! To avoid getting the teeth marks of the vice on the dropout or scratching the paint you can often put a double or triple wrapped rag around the dropout and work the bend out safely with vice grips clamped on the rag. :wink:

Ive come to the conclusion that there is two things I wanna do with this bike. Restore it right, and ride it right now so its going to be a two parter. Im currently knocking some surface rust off and getting parts to make it rideable. Then buying all the parts needed and saving the money for the paint work, then doing it right.

Thinking of a metal flake red or a deep dark cherry red with white walls, white grips, white seat, white pedals and chrome everywhere else.

Currently got the wheels trued and threw a new tube in the front and a pair of white 20" tires on there to make it rideable. The rims have a bit more rust then expected that I dont think will buff out, not sure what I want to do since these bikes were 24 spoked and thats gonna be hard to find original replacements, I might just step up to some 36s. I weight 200lbs so its probably a good idea anyways cause im gonna ride the heck outta this bike.

Thanks for the complements so far. Im really pumped on this thing especially for the ammount paid.

Just made it ridable minus the brakes and the shifter and I hate to admit it but It feels to cramped and would rather stick with 24" and 26" bikes. Sucks cause this thing is cool looking and will look awesome finished but I refuse to own something that I wont use. So Im probably going to sell it or trade it. Since alot of people on here think its as cool as I do. Ill give rrb first dibs, look for the add tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back