My Rat Rod Dyno Roadster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang, I promised to upload some pics , so here they are, along with a little story of how I got to this point. I got this DYNO ROADSTER new in the box in 1999. I put it together , and rode it the first year or two as is. It had all the stock DYNO parts - padded Black Dyno Cruiser seat, curved crusiser handlebars, chrome fenders, bullet valve caps..etc.
I started out small, after finding the handlebars at a motorcycle swap meet. A fellow had them for sale, along with the Chrome hand made sissy bar ( with the Iron Cross) . I couldnt mounst the sissy bar correctly, so I cut it down and placed it lower - so it really doesnt give any support. I made a ROADSTER sticker myself. I didnt paint the bike frame, but may someday....i kinda like it being a DYNO . The Dyno Cruiser frame is now being reproduced ....and its like having a vintage car. I took the bike apart, and from there - started teaking it. I replaced the handlebars and handgrips ( twice now, finally found some Schwinn leather handbar grips ) ~ Bless those new "chopper" stingrays from Schwinn ( its opened up a lot of options) . I got the MOON EYES sprocket for the MOON DYNO CRUISER, and attached my Baseball Bat holder - bought off EBAY . I got the stand at a bycycle shop , and they had it on a ten speed. I cut it down, and put Sockets on the end -for a more chopper/chrome effect. I love em cuz they throw sparks when I ride , as its lower than most cruisers. I painted most everything MATTE BLACK ( Krylon baby !) ....including the fenders, stand, and sissy bar center . The mirror I bought from MOON EYES online, its a motorcycle mirror. The "Exhaust" is a toy I found at CASS CYCLES in Mt Clemens Mi. It reprduces that baseball card ( I had a Betty Page card in there for a while) . I hope to laminate a vintage card - either a rock band, Detroit Tigers or another of my Betty Page Cards ( Dark Horse comics) and make that the noise maker ( instead of the toys black plastic flapper) . It turns on and off, and I can do it while riding - so I can enjoy quiet or make noise. It's got iron cross valve stems now, a Electra Bullet Lamp on the front fender , and a few accents here and there. Its the bat holder that gets the most looks. Tires are DYNO slicks - and I can pull a MEAN Side burnout - leaving tire marks if properly inflated. I got the seat custom made - leather with a chrome crashguard. I added a BLACK CAT emblem on the top. Lots of memories for me ( BLACK CAT FIREWORKS, MY BAT and lots of Mailboxes - ahhh. Growing up in the 70's) .
I hope to fashion a leather bag /tank and add a kiddie Twin V Engine soon...maybe fashion a Wheelie Bar ( for looks only, even a parachute maybe if I can find one) . My gal recently bought a Electra Rat Rod , and we are looking forward to ratting her's out - beyond the Stock Parts. We took our first group bike ride in Michigans Ferndale area and turned tons of eyes. We are making waves, and soon hope fro news coverage regarding our ride group ( mostly made of of local area Artist, Musicians, and Music Scene Regular 's, I'm a photographer, and TIa is a local artist / filmaker ) ...so I'll keep everyone posted ! If yer in the MICHIGAN / Detroit area...contact me regarding our rides !
~Fotog Christopher

l_0799d7087966e6d9cc9815e110e476a1.jpg

l_e543811c0aec25bcba6f4a1d9431e30e.jpg

l_2eec1947a31601541a6ae62882998a23.jpg

l_2ba5b3e8e1131c6706f3e4f5c7531f74.jpg

l_a1e741dba1f6470a8b3d97108d9d9e48.jpg

l_ef7634ef349ab1ed1fe594ef9767bf36.jpg

l_e9395dc306029c08edc49c3ecb730386.jpg

l_7d46c0497008455f1a524109f4f75dc8.jpg

Note the Iron Cross on the light. Its a necklace part.
l_c5f33c1cb0f15bc268116d035626b218.jpg

l_a11e07e706e755836f5e5a26a2825aaa.jpg

l_814fb2590017ef1e09041d074493d283.jpg

THANKS GANG !

The Kicksand is, I cut about 3 inches off, including the curved metal bottoms. The Sockets are also tilted slightly out, so it rests great - unless a huge ... Detroit wind comes a blowin :lol: or maybe a Detroit Muscle car with a Hemi rockets by me.... :roll:

Anyway, I've been tossing around, debating painting my wheels red, and getting some whitewalls. I take my time on descisions. I have to finish the fox trap for the kickstand first. I'll post pics tomm.

My question is When did they start making stretched cruisers and was it the dyno that made the first stretch cruisers? Also were they originaly made in Santa Ana,Ca? I finally bought a dyno roadster off of a guy on craigslist and on the front emblem it say "santa ana and on the botton of it Dyno..Mine was like a purple paint on it..im thinkin that was the original color but i ended up painting it forest green...Looks like I to have all the original parts on it..

Well heck! Look guys! another Michigander!

There are a few of us here from Michigan. I'm in Ira Township and I work in Pleasant Ridge. Our group is the FreakBike Militia. We're the Great Lakes chapter.

We should ride some time. We have a big get together in Toronto this summer put on by the FBM chapter over there. Loads of fun!

budzillacycles said:
Well heck! Look guys! another Michigander!

There are a few of us here from Michigan. I'm in Ira Township and I work in Pleasant Ridge. Our group is the FreakBike Militia. We're the Great Lakes chapter.

We should ride some time. We have a big get together in Toronto this summer put on by the FBM chapter over there. Loads of fun!

Hamilton and Oakville not Toronto....and NO they are not the same thing...Is Ira the same as Holly??....lol

FYI to our American brothers, anybody in Canada who doesn't live in Toronto doesn't like Toronto. Another very Canadian thing is that the rest of the country as a real good laugh when they get a snowfall in Vancouver and lower British Columbia. I hope you were aware of that Kev :mrgreen: Of course I am sure that there is plenty of jokes about Montreal, our driving comes to mind. The rest of the country thinks that we are totally mad when it comes to driving...we are!

Yyzmec, (Mr. Sensitive) - We use 'Toronto' as a stake in the ground. We then usually delve deeper into the exploration of the Canadian wilderness to specify there are really cities outside of Windsor and Toronto and the like.

This avoids the whole "Where the heck is Hamilton?" line of questioning......

Don't get all wound up Fuzzy. :D hahahaha

Now back to the thread already in progress-------------------------

UPDATE

I got one of the ELECTRA Bike bags yesterday. My GF bought me it, after I told her I wanted one. I looked a few years ago, and they were made of Leather. Electra changed manufacturers, and now they are out again ( in mens and womens versions) . I put it on my bike last nite, after affixing two Ed Roth patches I had - to both sides of the bag ( to cover up the word's ELECTRA) .

378630_lg.jpg

I'll take a picture of it soon as I can. It's been raining for 2 days, and I have yet to ride my bike with it on.
As far as Dyno Roadster frames, they were the ORIGINAL builder of this frame, and located in Cali. When Schwinn bought them, they relocated manufacturing in China. The CALI Build versions are worth more to collectors. Its getting harder and harder to find Dyno anything on Ebay .
Topher

Latest posts

Back