My new Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this frame up off of ebay, and got a decent deal on it I think... All I know is it's a columbia, takes a small solid seatpost(which I am in need of...) and I plan to run 24x3.0s on it. :mrgreen:
3061928266_4daeb78fbb_o.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on a super skinny seatpost or any info in general on this bike, Let me know.

I agree. Th ey look good. I brought it home and my wife was like "OOOH! I like the little painting deisgn thingies on it! DON"T PAINT OVER IT!" so I'm just gonna clean it up a bit, knock some of the grime off, and wax it. Or maybe clearcoat it. But defintiely keep the patina it's got. The og paint aint perfect, but it's cool... And the 24x3.0 tires are gonna fit PERFECTLY. Once I find a fork... And a skinny solid seat post...

A schwinn balloon tire fork should work on that frame and a 24x3 tire will work on a balloon fork good luck. Tony

I brought it home and my wife was like "OOOH! I like the little painting deisgn thingies on it! DON"T PAINT OVER IT!"

Luck you. For most guys here the wife seems to say "What?! Not another one!!!!!"

That must mean you don't have enough bikes yet................. :wink:

GodHatesCleveland said:
I brought it home and my wife was like "OOOH! I like the little painting deisgn thingies on it! DON"T PAINT OVER IT!"

Luck you. For most guys here the wife seems to say "What?! Not another one!!!!!"

That must mean you don't have enough bikes yet................. :wink:
I agree. I am lucky. And 9 outta 10 times, she's like "Baby... Not another bike..." But she understands... Kinda... We've only been married 8 months though... So give it some time, I'm sure she'll change her mind about my need for lots of bikes :wink: ...

I have the new Columbia book, and yours is probably a Westfield badged or other "Columbia-built" bike. The Columbia badged bikes of the era had arrow-lookin' frame darts. The Westfields had those 8 dashes, starting around 1938. Prewar fer sure, nice one! ~Adam

Thanks tinkerer! Where the badge should be, there is an outline of the old badge, and it's shaped like the ghostbuster circle with a slash through it.
But here's a couple of finished pics. Including the seat I reupholstered for it.
3080385308_833a308ec7.jpg

Before I recovered a seat for it. I borrowed the one off my wife's penguin bike, even though she protested. I promised I wouldn't keep it. I just didn't have another skinny solid seatpost. So I made one outta a pin for a tractor at work.

3082743794_e2a6c7f1b8.jpg
3081904525_6653c8fc03.jpg

Also, Phil(RMS37) helped me identify it as a year 1949. I don't know the model. It's just my fat-tired monster. :mrgreen: It's a blast to ride...

BrigmasterA said:
Also, Phil(RMS37) helped me identify it as a year 1949. I don't know the model. It's just my fat-tired monster. :mrgreen: It's a blast to ride...

Man what is going on with the "bike meet" behind your house? let's see! lol

Well, you asked for it...
3095932730_d3fa14ded9_b.jpg

Let me try and list them all...
There's a white Schwinn Hollywood(named Marilyn), a green Murray Muscle Bike, 2 West Coast Limited(fake electra style) choppers, a Murray Meteor Flite, a pre-war Hawthorne, a Dyno kustom kruiser roadster, my wife's trailmaster trike named Minerva, my wife's blue Schwinn Hollywood named Audrey, and my Cheapliner. This was before I finished my chrome spaceliner and my Columbia. And this is just the rideable bike section. I have another pile out back of parts bikes, and yet another spaceliner frame that is being chopped. Well, it will be. So far, I've just got drawings/plans. Nothing has been cut yet... So yeah... Friends and family tell me that I MAY have a bicycle problem... :mrgreen: My wife has decided she likes the Hollywoods, and I'm into the Murrays. And the only one that looks like it's going anywhere is the girls meteor flite. My mother-in-law is getting that one for christmas.

Back