My first "real" rat rod build...(Project Jerry Springer)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I discovered this site, I have been chomping at the bit to build a rat. I plan on entering the RRBBO, so I decided to practice on one, so maybe when RRBBO comes, I can come up with something halfway presentable. :D I have an old Columbia girls bike frame that I plan on giving a sex change and/or maybe building a chopper out of. I'm not sure of the exact direction yet, but I'll start cutting tomorrow and see where it leads. Its going to be a true rat in the sense that I'm making a point to build it out junk I have laying around. I have an old set of WWW's that hold air that I'm going to use and all sorts of fenders, chainguards, handlebars, etc. to put on it.

Here's the frame, and I'll post progress pics when I decide what I'm going to do to it. It should be a lot of fun!! :wink:

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg
:lol:

Re: My first "real" rat rod build...

get it done dude. that will be a fun project

Outlaw

Re: My first "real" rat rod build...

Rat Pilot, lookin' forward to seeing what way you go on your build and what you come up with. Have fun!

Well, I found a direction! An old girls bike, a '61 Chevy leaf spring, and twisted imagination = Jerry Springer :lol: . I didn't want to use one of my springer frontends, and I've seen a few guys on here use a leaf for the front suspension, so I decided to try a springer frame. It actually springs, and seemed pretty stable while I was coasting around on it. I originally didn't have the 2 small bars, but it looked a little naked without the seat post and the stretch, so I tacked them to the leaf, but they are floating. It gives it a sorta cantilever look. I'm going to get 2 more pieces and I'm going to extend them under the seat, but still leave them floating. I'm going to make some gussets for the rear drop out and seat post in hopes of keeping the leaf from cracking everything around it. Let's just say I won't be jumping anything with it! I'll use it to cruise around at the park with my little girl and maybe a car show, but it won't see any major riding. Its just tacked together, but this is the shape I've settled on. My buddy is a better welder than me, so he's going to stitch it up for me. I haven't hammered out all the details like fenders, handlebars, color, etc. yet, so I'll probably just play with stuff I have laying around. I'm thinking a duck tail bobber rear fender, but I'm going to try a long one too just to see how it looks. I have a skinny whitewall 26 X 1 3/8 tire and wheel that I may try on the front. Anyway, here's a few pics as it sits now.

66f5e412c9de__1238676119000.jpg

5895a8727771__1238676196000.jpg

910a19b600e9__1238677159000.jpg

VERY COOL!...........Man I love this place!.... GREAT ideas just keep coming and coming.

very cool just when you thought you seen it all ! 8)

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure how it would be recieved, but I'm pretty sure it qualifies as a rat. I'm trying to decide now if I want full length fenders or bobbers. I also may reconfigure the seat post to more stock like position, but still cloe to the rear wheel. I keep looking at it and I don't know if I like the angled look of it. I'm also going to cut off the little brace pieces on the cantilever bars. I'm thinking about maybe something like the modified pic below. What do you guys think?

rat2.jpg

Roll with it man, you're on to something C :shock: :shock: L there! Looks like you could use some reinforcing at the frame right under the seat, where the 2 downtubes meet the leaf. If you can find some steel rod small enough to fit into the downtubes, bend it into a vee-shape, and weld it into the tubes and leaf. Thats where the bulk of your weight will end up, so the frames gotta handle the load.
Toss some beach bars or tall apes in the mix with a chain, and you're rolling!
Liking the fat back look in the photoshop also.
Rick

Latest posts

Back