My daughter's find.. What kind of Schwinn is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter (almost 8 ) and I were at a local thrift store and she came across this bike and fell in LOVE. She loves it and is very excited to restore it with my husband.

It has a Schwinn plate and clearly was sloppily painted (maybe by a kid) but looks like it was originally black. It's a 20" child's bike. We'd love some help figuring out exactly what it is to be able to restore it properly.

I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to post pictures directly, but I included links. If someone can tell me how to post the picture itself, I'll be happy to do that! :)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/meghanbowes/bikeside.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/meghanbowes/bikefull.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/meghanbowes/bikefront.jpg

Well, it is a Chicago made Schwinn. The front forks are backwards, because they are bent they turned them around to look better. They can be straightened or changed out with a new pair. The rear hub is a red band bendix, and if the wheels roll straight, that's good. It's hard to tell, but I think those are Schwinn wheels and tires.

The cranks and sprocket look like the right ones for the bike, but the pedals are replacements.

The paint is thick, but there may be a serial number visible just below the head badge. If not, look on the left rear dropout near where the axle bolts up. Then we can find out what year it is. The head badge itself may have 4 numbers on it that will work too.

Your first post. Welcome to the site.

Thank you for info you could give me. My husband said he thought they were backwards. We haven't done anything to the bike yet at all.

The tires are very flat and it's missing the chain but my daughter just saw the beauty in it and loves it. :)

I forgot to add that we looked for a serial number but couldn't find one. Online, we looked up the normal places it'd be and we couldn't find one. We'll look where you suggested.

Any ideas what model it might be? We thought it kinda looked like a Beach Cruiser but really don't know very little about bikes. A few years ago, my husband repainted and customized a bike for my son but it was just a bike that needed work- not a cool Schwinn.

Thanks for your help and the warm welcome! I really appreciate a group that's willing to help the new and somewhat clueless. HA HA

Wildcat said:
Well, it is a Chicago made Schwinn. The front forks are backwards, because they are bent they turned them around to look better. They can be straightened or changed out with a new pair. The rear hub is a red band bendix, and if the wheels roll straight, that's good. It's hard to tell, but I think those are Schwinn wheels and tires.

The cranks and sprocket look like the right ones for the bike, but the pedals are replacements.

The paint is thick, but there may be a serial number visible just below the head badge. If not, look on the left rear dropout near where the axle bolts up. Then we can find out what year it is. The head badge itself may have 4 numbers on it that will work too.

Your first post. Welcome to the site.

Back