My Board Tracker Project (1st bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Columbia Sport III I got today. Fits me a bit better than the 61ish Columbia I got from my buddy.

SportIII.jpg

It will take awhile to decide what to do with it but looking forward to it.
this comes to mind...

web_pics.jpg

Aaron

Does that thing have duct tape holding the tires on?

On these vintage boardtrackers the tires are actually one piece tube tires and are glued onto wooden rims. And yes there is black tape holding the front tire on. Original tires, rims, ect. are real hard to come by for 111 year old bikes. It is my intention to switch to a coaster brake rear hub and try to faux woodgrain the rims if I can learn how. As to the cool drive sprocket I may put an overlay on the old one to simulate the effect. Roads did suck back then which is why they raced on board tracks. These old timers had riders with grit, determination, a touch of insanity, and HUGE BA**$

So I stripped the bike down to the frame..first time I ever removed a crank... no big whoop but that gives you an idea of where I'm at as far as bowstaff skills are concerened. De stickered the bike, sanded, wiped with solvent, and painted the fram and then fork. I used a paint called Hammerite as it is tough as heck and antique looking. Supposed to imitate a hammered metal finish. Anyway dark charcoal frame, maroon neck, and silver fork leg tips. I need to get a good saddle, some rims, tires, do some more details on the frame and make an overlay for the sprocket. We shall see. The bike before....

SportIII.jpg

And now....

MTR.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

Keep in mind however I am an idiot...

Nice start to your boardtracker. Pain is nice simple and correct for the period you are going after.

Dude i might have to try paint design like that... I got a bike out back begging for some paint.

Back